Determining Flow Rate from a Closed Pipe

In summary, the individual is attempting to find the flow rate of water from a closed pipe. They initially considered using a hose branching off the main flow pipe, but realized it would not work since the pipe is closed. They are now looking into installing a flow meter on the pipe to find the flow rate.
vatsald
im trying top find the flow rate of water from a closed pipe.
one thing that i think i can work with is a hose.
there is a hose branching of the main flow pipe, which can be used to clean floor etc.

im thinking that i can not open the hose and thus measure the stagnatiob pressure at the main pipe.
i need help to find a flow rate from this.
any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
vatsald said:
im trying top find the flow rate of water from a closed pipe.
one thing that i think i can work with is a hose.
there is a hose branching of the main flow pipe, which can be used to clean floor etc.

im thinking that i can not open the hose and thus measure the stagnatiob pressure at the main pipe.
i need help to find a flow rate from this.
any ideas?

If the pipe is closed there will be no flow.

Your problem description isn't clear, can you provide a more coherent explanation or better yet, a schematic/sketch?

CS

totally agree with stewarcts. when the pipe is closed, that mean no flow, no acceleration but u has a volume.

Anikirol88 said:
totally agree with stewarcts. when the pipe is closed, that mean no flow, no acceleration but u has a volume.

Yeah sorry guys. By closed pipe i meant, the pipe is connected from the water mains to the tank, and i don't have an access to the outlet where i can measure the flow.

But the its algud now, I am in talks to put a flow meter on the pipe. so the problems solved, bt thanks anyways.

Related to Determining Flow Rate from a Closed Pipe

What is flow rate?

Flow rate is the measure of how much fluid (liquid or gas) is moving through a specific point in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in volume per unit of time, such as liters per second or cubic feet per minute.

How is flow rate determined in a closed pipe?

Flow rate in a closed pipe can be determined using the equation Q = A * V, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and V is the fluid velocity. This equation assumes that the flow is steady and the pipe is completely filled with the fluid.

What factors affect flow rate in a closed pipe?

The flow rate in a closed pipe can be affected by several factors, including the fluid density and viscosity, the pipe diameter and length, and the pressure and temperature of the fluid. These factors can also impact the fluid velocity, which in turn affects the flow rate.

How does the Bernoulli's equation relate to flow rate in a closed pipe?

Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline, can be used to determine the flow rate in a closed pipe. By equating the initial and final energies of the fluid, the equation can be rearranged to solve for the flow rate.

What are some methods for measuring flow rate in a closed pipe?

There are several methods for measuring flow rate in a closed pipe, including using a flow meter, pressure gauges, or timing the fluid's movement using a known volume. Other indirect methods, such as using the Reynolds number, can also be used to estimate the flow rate.