Determining distance of travel with friction acting on a car.

In summary, the car will stop in a minimum distance on a rainy day with a coefficient of static friction of .102 when traveling at 51 mi/h. The equations used to determine this distance are f=un and f=ma for kinetics, with consideration of the forces of weight, normal force, and friction. The mass of the car is not a factor in this calculation.
quinntan
1. A car is traveling at 51 mi/h on a horizontal highway. If the coefficient of static friction between the road and tires on a rainy day is .102 what is the minimum distance in which the car will stop.

2. f=un f=ma kinetics equations

3. No idea here. Teacher barely skimmed over friction so far and all problems we have done in class either had a value of acceleration, a mass or a force. This one has none of those.

Physics news on Phys.org
can u imagine what will happen to the car?

I know it will stop eventually but I don't know how far it will go. I made a free body diagram but it wasn't very useful without knowing the cars mass.

quinntan said:
I know it will stop eventually but I don't know how far it will go. I made a free body diagram but it wasn't very useful without knowing the cars mass.

In your free body diagram, do u have these 3 forces:

the weight od the car, the normal force exerted by the ground, and the friction force? :)

Alright I got it. It turns out that the masses cancel.

Related to Determining distance of travel with friction acting on a car.

1. How does friction affect the distance a car travels?

Friction is a resistant force that acts against the motion of an object. In the case of a car, friction between the tires and the road surface causes the car to slow down and reduces the distance it can travel.

2. What factors influence the amount of friction acting on a car?

The amount of friction acting on a car is influenced by several factors, including the weight of the car, the type and condition of the tires, and the surface of the road.

3. How can friction be calculated to determine the distance a car travels?

Friction can be calculated using the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the interaction between two surfaces. This coefficient, along with the weight of the car and other factors, can be used in equations to determine the amount of friction acting on the car and thus the distance it can travel.

4. Is there a way to reduce the amount of friction acting on a car?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce the amount of friction acting on a car. These include using tires with lower friction coefficients, ensuring the tires are properly inflated, and choosing roads with smoother surfaces.

5. How does the speed of a car affect the amount of friction acting on it?

The faster a car is traveling, the more friction it will experience. This is because the tires have to work harder to maintain traction on the road at higher speeds, resulting in more friction and a shorter distance traveled.