Determining Convergence of Series Using Comparison and Ratio Tests

In summary, the series in question converges by the ratio test. This is because the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms is less than 1, indicating convergence. The comparison test is not applicable in this case as it only works for series with non-negative terms, while the series in question has alternating signs.
Al3x L3g3nd

Homework Statement

Does the series
[tex]
\Big( \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{(3^n)*(sqrtn)} \Big)
[/tex]
Converge or Diverge? By what test?

Homework Equations

1/n^p
If p<1 or p=1, the series diverges.
If p>1, the series converges.

If bn > an and bn converges, then an also converges.

The Attempt at a Solution

I use 1/(sqrtn) since it is bigger than 1/((3^n)(sqrtn)).
Since sqrtn is n^1/2 I use the p test.
Since 1/2<1, the series 1/sqrtn diverges and so does the original.
This is wrong

The answer uses 1/3^n as the comparison and it just says that it converges with no explanation.
Also, the ratio test was used and it converged.

Why doesn't my reasoning work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Al3x L3g3nd said:
Why doesn't my reasoning work?
You showed that a series with larger terms, and therefore less inclined to converge, doesn't converge. What can you deduce from that?

Al3x L3g3nd said:
I use 1/(sqrtn) since it is bigger than 1/((3^n)(sqrtn)).
Since sqrtn is n^1/2 I use the p test.
Since 1/2<1, the series 1/sqrtn diverges and so does the original.

You are misapplying the Comparison Test. It is correct to state that $$\frac{1}{3^n \sqrt{n}} < \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}},$$ however while the the sum of the RHS diverges (by p test), you cannot conclude anything about the convergence/divergence of LHS. As a counterexample to your line of reasoning , see for example the following:
$$n^2 > n\,\,\text{for}\,\,n > 1 \Rightarrow \frac{1}{n^2} < \frac{1}{n}.$$ The infinite sum of RHS diverges (by p test) while the LHS converges (by p test).

Hi

$$ \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{3^n\cdot\sqrt{n}} < \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{3^n}=\frac{1}{2} $$

Last edited:

Related to Determining Convergence of Series Using Comparison and Ratio Tests

1. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

To determine if a series converges or diverges, you can use different tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, root test, or integral test. These tests help to evaluate the behavior of the series and determine if it will approach a finite value (converge) or continue to increase indefinitely (diverge).

2. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence means that the series converges regardless of the order of its terms, while conditional convergence means that the series only converges if the terms are arranged in a specific order. In other words, rearranging the terms of an absolutely convergent series will not change the sum, but for a conditionally convergent series, rearranging the terms may result in a different sum or possibly cause the series to diverge.

3. Can a series converge to a negative value?

Yes, a series can converge to a negative value. Convergence only means that the series approaches a finite limit, it does not necessarily have to converge to a positive value.

4. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent series?

A convergent series is one that approaches a finite limit or sum as the number of terms increases, while a divergent series is one that does not approach a finite limit and either grows without bound or oscillates between positive and negative values.

5. How can you use the alternating series test to determine convergence?

The alternating series test is used to determine if an alternating series (a series with terms that alternate between positive and negative) converges. It states that if the terms of the series decrease in absolute value and approach 0, then the series will converge. This test can be used in conjunction with other tests to determine convergence for other types of series.