Determining Capacitance in Different Kinds of Capacitors

In summary, the equivalent capacitance between points x and y in each network of capacitors shown is Ceq=C1+C2+...Cn.
sweetdion

Homework Statement

Determine the equivalent capacitance (in terms of C0) between points x and y of each network of capacitors shown.
100_0214.png

Homework Equations

For capacitors connected in parallel, Ceq=C1+C2+...Cn

For capacitors connected in series,
Ceq=1/C1+1/C2+...1/Cn

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my first time learning about capacitors, and I am just learning about the difference between series and parallel capacitors. Sometimes it's hard for me to tell the difference, especially with some of the different geometries that are given. I know that in parallel capacitors, capacitors are connecting with equal voltage drops across the capacitors, and in series capacitors, capacitors are connected with equal charges on the capacitors. First, I think I should combine the capacitors in parallel to get Ceq', then combine the remaining capacitors in series into one final Ceq.

a)So, to take this slowly, with part a, the two capacitors that are opposite to each other are parallel. So Ceq'=2C0 Now to combine it with the remaining capacitor in series, Ceq=1/2C0 + 1/C0 = 3/2C0

b) I'm not sure what to do when they are diagonal to each other. Are they series?

c) In the top box there is 2C0 in the bottom box there is 2C0, since they are in series, Ceq=1/2C0+1/2C0=1/C0

d) Same problem with B.

Thanks in advance,
sweetdion

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Ceq=1/2C0 + 1/C0 = 3/2C0
It should be
1/Ceq=1/2C0 + 1/C0 = 3/2C0
b)Al the three are in parallel, one plate of each capacitor is connected to x and the other to y.
c) 1/ceq = 1/co
d) Left and right branches are in series, the the parallel combination.

b) Ceq=2C0+C0+C0=4C0
d) 1/Ceqleft=1/C0+1/C0 ---> Ceqleft = C0/2 = Ceqright
Ceqtot=C0/2 + C0/2 + C0 --->2C0
correct?

Correct.

Thanks a lot for your help!:smile:

Related to Determining Capacitance in Different Kinds of Capacitors

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in units of Farads (F).

2. How do you determine the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be determined by dividing the charge stored on one of its plates by the potential difference between the two plates. This is known as the capacitance equation: C = Q/V.

3. What are the different kinds of capacitors?

There are many different kinds of capacitors, but some common types include ceramic capacitors, electrolytic capacitors, and film capacitors. They each have different properties and are used for different purposes.

4. How do you determine the capacitance of a ceramic capacitor?

The capacitance of a ceramic capacitor can be determined by multiplying the permittivity of the dielectric material by the area of its plates and dividing by the distance between the plates. This is known as the parallel plate capacitor equation: C = εA/d.

5. Why is it important to determine the capacitance of a capacitor?

Determining the capacitance of a capacitor is important because it allows us to understand how much charge it can store and how it will behave in a circuit. This information is crucial for designing and using electronic devices and circuits effectively.