Determining bound states for delta function potential

In summary, the problem is asking to find the bound states for for the potential ##V(x)=-\alpha[\delta(x+a)+\delta(x-a)]##. The first step is to find the solutions for the potential in the three regions of interest. The second step is to find the coefficients for the solutions. The third step is to solve for the bound states.
Logan Rudd
I'm working on a problem out of Griffith's Intro to QM 2nd Ed. and it's asking to find the bound states for for the potential ##V(x)=-\alpha[\delta(x+a)+\delta(x-a)]## This is what I'm doing so far:

$$
\mbox{for $x\lt-a$:}\hspace{1cm}\psi=Ae^{\kappa a}\\
\mbox{for $-a\lt x\lt a$}\hspace{1cm}\psi=Be^{-\kappa x}+Ce^{\kappa x}\\
\mbox{and for $x\gt a$:}\hspace{1cm}\psi=De^{-\kappa a}
$$

However, this is what the solution reads:
$$
\mbox{for $x\lt a$:}\hspace{1cm}\psi=Ae^{-\kappa a}\\
\mbox{for $-a\lt x\lt a$}\hspace{1cm}\psi=B(e^{\kappa x}+e^{-\kappa x})\\
\mbox{and for $x\lt-a$:}\hspace{1cm}\psi=Ae^{\kappa a}
$$

Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong - why they are getting the coefficients they are - and what I should be doing? Maybe go over the general way of approaching these kind of problems? I'm also wondering why they don't have the case for $x>a$?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The missing case for ##x>a## has to be a typo - the first line of the solution has a ##<## where ##>## was intended.

You will make more headway with the constants if you impose the additional condition that ##\psi## has to be symmetric or anti-symmetric. These constraints are OK because the potential is symmetric and the solution for a symmetric potential can always be written as a linear combination of symmetric and antisymmetric solutions.

Thanks! That makes it much clearer. I figured it was a typo but was kind of confused to begin with.

After this I am trying to figure out what ##\Delta\left(\frac{d\psi}{dx}\right)## is. Integrating the potential part of SWE and taking the limit as ##\epsilon## approaches ##\pm a## I get:

$$
\Delta\left(\frac{d\psi}{dx}\right)=-\frac{2m}{\hbar ^2}\left[\alpha\psi(a)+\alpha\psi(-a)\right]
$$
but the solution reads ##\Delta\left(\frac{d\psi}{dx}\right)=-\frac{2m\alpha}{\hbar^2}\psi(a)##
I think I'm close but not sure how they got their result. Do you see what I'm doing? Can you correct where I made any mistakes?

Look for solutions to the Schrodinger equation that work everywhere except at the two points where the potential is not zero. By inspection (also called "lucky guess" or "thoughtful selection of ansatz" or "the way most differential equations get solved") these have to be linear combinations of ##e^{kx}## and ##e^{-kx}##. Your boundary conditions tell you that ##\psi## goes to zero as ##x## goes to infinity in either direction; and you allowed to assume that the solution is either symmetric or antisymmetric. Those conditions are sufficient to determine which linear combinations (that is, what the coefficients are) of ##e^{kx}## and ##e^{-kx}## are solutions in the three regions of interest.

If find yourself tiring of the PhysicsForums rule that we will help you find the solution yourself but won't just give you the answer... Google will find a bunch of solutions. But I hope you'll keep working at it yourself - you are a differential equation away from victory.

Last edited:

Related to Determining bound states for delta function potential

1. What is a delta function potential?

A delta function potential is a mathematical function used in quantum mechanics to model a localized potential energy that is infinite at a single point and zero everywhere else. It is represented by the Dirac delta function, which has a value of zero everywhere except at its center where it is infinite.

2. How is a delta function potential used to determine bound states?

A delta function potential is used to determine bound states by solving the Schrödinger equation for a particle in the potential. The bound states are then determined by finding the energy levels that result in a finite wave function at the point of the delta function potential.

3. What are the conditions for a particle to be in a bound state in a delta function potential?

A particle will be in a bound state in a delta function potential if its energy is less than the potential energy at the point of the delta function. This ensures that the wave function remains finite at that point and the particle is confined to the potential well.

4. Can a delta function potential have multiple bound states?

Yes, a delta function potential can have multiple bound states. The number of bound states depends on the strength of the potential and the mass of the particle. A stronger potential or a lighter particle will result in more bound states.

5. How does the shape of the potential affect the bound states in a delta function potential?

The shape of the potential affects the bound states in a delta function potential by changing the energy levels and the number of bound states. A wider and shallower potential will result in lower energy levels and more bound states, while a narrower and deeper potential will have higher energy levels and fewer bound states.