Determining a trigonometric limit

In summary: This will cancel out the cube root in the denominator and allow you to evaluate the limit.In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate a limit involving cube roots and provides suggestions for solving it, such as using L'Hospital's rule or an algebraic identity.
Bunny-chan

Homework Statement

Calculate the following limit:

png.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to proceed with this. I've tried to multiply by the conjugate, and to simplify the expression [itex](x+\pi)[/itex] to [itex]u[/itex], but I wasn't very sucessful. To what kind of algebric device I could resort to? Or is there other way to deduce the limit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bunny-chan said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 203337

Homework Equations

I don't know how to proceed with this. I've tried to multiply by the conjugate, and to simplify the expression [itex](x+\pi)[/itex] to [itex]u[/itex], but I wasn't very sucessful. To what kind of algebric device I could resort to? Or is there other way to deduce the limit?
The problem as written is continuous at ##x=0##, so just plug it in. Or if both terms in the denominator are supposed to be cube roots, try L'Hospital's rule.

Bunny-chan said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 203337

Homework Equations

I assume you meant to write ##\sqrt[3]{x+\pi}## instead of ##3 \sqrt{x+\pi}## in the denominator. If you do not want to (or are unable to) use calculus, use instead the algebraic identity ##a^3-b^3 = (a-b)(a^2+a b + b^2)## for appropriate ##a## and ##b##.

Related to Determining a trigonometric limit

1. How do you determine the limit of a trigonometric function?

The limit of a trigonometric function can be determined by evaluating the function at the given value and observing the behavior of the function as the input approaches that value. If the function approaches a specific value or oscillates between two values, then that is the limit. If the function does not approach any specific value, then the limit does not exist.

2. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit for a trigonometric function?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function as the input approaches the given value from one direction, either from the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior of the function as the input approaches the given value from both directions. In some cases, the one-sided and two-sided limits may be equal, but in others, they may be different.

3. Can a trigonometric limit be evaluated algebraically?

In most cases, a trigonometric limit cannot be evaluated algebraically. Instead, it requires the use of trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the function and then evaluate the limit using the rules of limits. However, there are some special cases where the limit can be evaluated algebraically, such as when the function is a constant or a simple rational function.

4. Is it possible for a trigonometric limit to be undefined?

Yes, it is possible for a trigonometric limit to be undefined. This occurs when the function does not approach any specific value as the input approaches the given value. Instead, the function may oscillate between different values or have a discontinuity at that point, making the limit undefined.

5. How can you use graphs to determine a trigonometric limit?

Graphs can be used to visualize the behavior of a trigonometric function and help determine its limit. By plotting the function and observing its behavior near the given value, you can make an educated guess about the limit. Additionally, you can use technology to plot the function and zoom in on the given value to get a more accurate estimate of the limit.