Determining a specific frequency to make the ball bounce

In summary, the conversation discusses a set-up where a small speaker is connected to a function generator and a concave lens with a ball on top. The question is whether the ball will bounce at a certain frequency and what causes it to bounce. The force acting on the ball is thought to be the vibration of the lens, and the time it takes for the ball to return to the lens is important for keeping it bouncing. Both power and frequency are factors to consider, and there may be a relationship between the frequency and acceleration of the ball.
chemaie
So, here's the set-up:

A small stereo speaker is connected to a function generator. A concave lens, bearing a ball is place over the speaker.

Now, the frequency is slowly increased in the function generator. My question is,
Will the ball really bounce at a certain frequency? Because I am not really sure about it. I just a found that set-up from a problem in a book and I want to try it for my research. And also, if it will bounce, what causes it to bounce? Is it the vibration of the lens?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have seen plenty of things bounce when affected by sound, so I think it must be true.
First, try to characterize the force acting on the ball. I would think that it must be the vibration of the lens, so force would be a function of frequency.
Next you would need to define the time it takes that ball to return to the lens. If the phase of the vibration is off, you will not get the constructive effects needed to keep the ball bouncing.
I would imagine you would need to consider both power and frequency, since the timing of the bounce would depend on both factors.

Likes chemaie
Thank you for your response, RUber. I will try to consider the factors affecting the ball to bounce. Also, I would like to know the relationship of the frequency to the acceleration of the ball. Is there any relationship between the two?

Related to Determining a specific frequency to make the ball bounce

1. How do you determine the specific frequency to make the ball bounce?

The specific frequency to make a ball bounce is determined by factors such as the material and size of the ball, the surface it is bouncing on, and the force applied to the ball. A higher frequency will result in a higher bounce, while a lower frequency will result in a lower bounce.

2. What role does the material of the ball play in determining its bounce frequency?

The material of the ball plays a crucial role in determining its bounce frequency. Different materials have different elasticity and stiffness, which affects how the ball responds to a given force. For example, a rubber ball will have a higher bounce frequency compared to a foam ball due to its higher elasticity.

3. Can the frequency of the ball's bounce be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a ball's bounce can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as the material or surface it is bouncing on. The force applied to the ball can also be adjusted to change its bounce frequency.

4. How does the surface affect the bounce frequency of a ball?

The surface has a significant impact on the bounce frequency of a ball. A smooth and hard surface, such as concrete or hardwood, will result in a higher bounce frequency compared to a soft and uneven surface, such as grass or carpet.

5. Is there an ideal frequency for making a ball bounce?

There is no one ideal frequency for making a ball bounce. The appropriate frequency will depend on the specific circumstances and desired outcome. For example, a basketball player may prefer a higher bounce frequency to easily dribble and control the ball, while a tennis player may prefer a lower bounce frequency for better accuracy and control.