Determing the Force in Each Member of the Loaded Truss

In summary, a truss problem was presented where the goal was to determine the force in each member. The force is positive if in tension and negative if in compression. After defining the positive y-axis from B to A and the positive x-axis from B to C, the force in AB was found to be 1753.2 N and the force in BC was found to be -1321.1 N. The next step was to find the force in AC which was eventually determined to be 795.05 N by using equilibrium equations at joint C. However, it is important to note that forces in members pointing in toward the joint are compressive (minus) while forces pointing away from the joint are tensile (plus).
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Determine the force in each member of the loaded truss. The force is positive if in tension, negative if in compression.

I have attached an image of the problem

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I defined the positive y-axis to be from B to A and hence the positive x-axis is from B to C.

To find AB I took the sum of the force in the y-direction on point B, my calculations are:

0 = AB - (224kg)(9.8)cos(37)

AB = 1753.2 N

This answer is correct.

Then to find BC I found the forces in the x-direction at point B

0 = -BC + (224)(9.8)sin(37)
BC = 1321.1 N

However it says my answer is wrong. I suspect that it should be -1321.1 N but I have not tried this.

I am stuck on finding AC.

Some of the my classmates tried:

(BC)cos(37) which gives me 1055 N but it says this is wrong.

Any help would be appraciated.

Attachments

• statics hwk 13 4.002.png
    statics hwk 13 4.002.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 4,131
Physics news on Phys.org
I have gotten the answer now.

BC = -1321.1 N

AC = BCcos(53) = 795.05 N but I don't understand why these are correct.

Your method of solving for AB and BC is very good. Note that at joint B, the comp. of the weight along your chosen x-axis points in toward the joint, to the left; thus, the force in BC must point in toward the joint to the right. Forces in members that point in toward the joint are compressive (designated as minus), while forces that point away from the joint are tensile (designated as plus).
For the force in AC, look at joint C and use conventional horiz and vert x and y axes, and apply the equilibrium equations. Note that the roller support at C cannot support vertical forces.

Related to Determing the Force in Each Member of the Loaded Truss

1. What is a loaded truss?

A loaded truss is a structural framework composed of interconnected members that are subjected to external forces, such as weight or pressure. It is commonly used in construction to support bridges, roofs, and other structures.

2. How is the force in each member of a loaded truss determined?

The force in each member of a loaded truss can be determined using the method of joints or the method of sections. Both methods involve analyzing the forces acting on each joint or section of the truss and using equilibrium equations to solve for the unknown forces.

3. What factors affect the force in each member of a loaded truss?

The force in each member of a loaded truss is affected by the magnitude and direction of the external forces acting on the truss, the geometry and material properties of the truss members, and the support conditions at the joints. Any changes in these factors can result in different forces in each member of the truss.

4. How does the angle of the truss members affect the force in each member?

The angle of the truss members can significantly affect the force in each member. Members that are angled closer to the horizontal will experience greater tensile or compressive forces, while members that are angled closer to the vertical will experience smaller forces. This is due to the distribution of the external forces and the geometry of the truss.

5. Can the force in each member of a loaded truss be calculated using computer software?

Yes, computer software such as structural analysis programs can be used to determine the force in each member of a loaded truss. These programs use mathematical equations and algorithms to analyze the truss and provide accurate results. However, it is still important for engineers to understand the principles behind these calculations and verify the results to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.