Determine whether the integral is divergent. If convergent, evaluate.

In summary: Can some one help me figure out How ln( t+8)/(t-1) = 0Can some one help me figure out How ln( t+8)/(t-1) = 0If you mean $$ \frac{\ln (t+8)}{t-1}=0$$it is easy (figure out why). If you mean $$ \ln \left( \frac{t+8}{t-1} \right) = 0 $$you can spend a lifetime looking for a solution and never finding one. Why not?
jorgegalvan93

Homework Statement

∫ a= 2 b = ∞ (dv)/(v^2+7v-8)

Homework Equations

I have attempted the problem and am confused as to why the integral is not divergent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrated the function by using partial fractions and came up with a result of:
-1/9ln(v+8)+1/9ln(v-1)

I replaced 'b' limit of integration with 't' and solved for the limit of the function as 't' approaches infinity…
lim t→∞ -1/9[ln(v+8)-ln(v-1)] with limits of integration, b =t and a = 2

However when finding the limit, I realize that when substituting ∞ for 'v' I am left with the following result: -1/9[ln(∞+8)-ln(∞-1)]

ln(∞) is equal to ∞, and ∞-∞ is equal to ∞. Therefore there is no limit for the function ∫ a= 2 b = ∞ (dv)/(v^2+7v-8) and it is divergent.

This is not the case though, and the function convergent.

Where is my mistake occurring?

Physics news on Phys.org

jorgegalvan93 said:

Homework Statement

∫ a= 2 b = ∞ (dv)/(v^2+7v-8)

Homework Equations

I have attempted the problem and am confused as to why the integral is not divergent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrated the function by using partial fractions and came up with a result of:
-1/9ln(v+8)+1/9ln(v-1)

I replaced 'b' limit of integration with 't' and solved for the limit of the function as 't' approaches infinity…
lim t→∞ -1/9[ln(v+8)-ln(v-1)] with limits of integration, b =t and a = 2

However when finding the limit, I realize that when substituting ∞ for 'v' I am left with the following result: -1/9[ln(∞+8)-ln(∞-1)]

ln(∞) is equal to ∞, and ∞-∞ is equal to ∞. Therefore there is no limit for the function ∫ a= 2 b = ∞ (dv)/(v^2+7v-8) and it is divergent.

This is not the case though, and the function convergent.

Where is my mistake occurring?
A limit of the form ∞ - ∞ is indeterminate.

You need to express it in a different way. use properties of logs to to get a more compact expression.

SammyS said:
A limit of the form ∞ - ∞ is indeterminate.

You need to express it in a different way. use properties of logs to to get a more compact expression.

ln(v+8)/ln(v+1) ?
Would I then have to use L'hopitals rule?

jorgegalvan93 said:
ln(v+8)/ln(v+1) ?

That's not a correct use of the rules of logs. Try again.

jorgegalvan93 said:
ln(v+8)/ln(v+1) ?
ln(a) - ln(b) = ln(a/b) .

ln(a) - ln(b) ln(a)/ln(b) .

Can some one help me figure out How ln( t+8)/(t-1) = 0

Last edited by a moderator:
Miliman13 said:
Can some one help me figure out How ln( t+8)/(t-1) = 0

If you mean
$$ \frac{\ln (t+8)}{t-1}=0$$
it is easy (figure out why). If you mean
$$ \ln \left( \frac{t+8}{t-1} \right) = 0 $$
you can spend a lifetime looking for a solution and never finding one. Why not?

Related to Determine whether the integral is divergent. If convergent, evaluate.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. What does it mean for an integral to be divergent?

A divergent integral is one that does not have a finite value. This means that the area under the curve extends to infinity and cannot be calculated.

3. How do you determine if an integral is divergent?

To determine if an integral is divergent, you can use a variety of methods such as the Comparison Test, the Limit Comparison Test, or the Divergence Test. These methods compare the given integral to a known divergent integral and if they have similar behavior, the given integral is also divergent.

4. What does it mean for an integral to be convergent?

A convergent integral is one that has a finite value. This means that the area under the curve is bounded and can be calculated accurately.

5. How do you evaluate a convergent integral?

To evaluate a convergent integral, you can use various techniques such as Integration by Parts, Substitution, or Partial Fractions. These methods allow you to simplify the integral and solve for its exact value.