Determine whether functions are harmonic

In summary, the first function u = z + \bar{z} is harmonic with a Laplacian of 0, while the second function u = 2z\bar{z} is not harmonic with a Laplacian of 8.
Shackleford

Homework Statement

Determine whether or not the following functions are harmonic:

[itex]u = z + \bar{z} [/itex]

[itex]u = 2z\bar{z} [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]z = u(x,y) + v(x,y)i [/itex]

[itex]\bar{z} = u(x,y) - v(x,y)i [/itex]

A function is harmonic if Δu = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]Δu = Δz +Δ \bar{z} = u_{xx} + v_{xx} + u_{yy} + v_{yy} + u_{xx} - v_{xx} + u_{yy} + -v_{yy} = 2u_{xx} + 2u_{yy}

[/itex]

[itex]u = 2z\bar{z} = 2[u(x,y) + v(x,y)i][u(x,y) - v(x,y)i] = 2[u^2(x,y) - v^2(x,y)][/itex]

[itex]Δu = 2[2uu_{xx} + 2uu_{yy} - 2vv_{xx} - 2vv_{yy}]

[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shackleford said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether or not the following functions are harmonic:

[itex]u = z + \bar{z} [/itex]

[itex]u = 2z\bar{z} [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]z = u(x,y) + v(x,y)i [/itex]

[itex]\bar{z} = u(x,y) - v(x,y)i [/itex]

A function is harmonic if Δu = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]Δu = Δz +Δ \bar{z} = u_{xx} + v_{xx} + u_{yy} + v_{yy} + u_{xx} - v_{xx} + u_{yy} + -v_{yy} = 2u_{xx} + 2u_{yy}

[/itex]

[itex]u = 2z\bar{z} = 2[u(x,y) + v(x,y)i][u(x,y) - v(x,y)i] = 2[u^2(x,y) - v^2(x,y)][/itex]

[itex]Δu = 2[2uu_{xx} + 2uu_{yy} - 2vv_{xx} - 2vv_{yy}]

[/itex]

I don't see why you are struggling with this. ##z=x+iy##. If ##u=z+\bar{z}## then ##u(x,y)=2x##. Is that harmonic?

Dick said:
I don't see why you are struggling with this. ##z=x+iy##. If ##u=z+\bar{z}## then ##u(x,y)=2x##. Is that harmonic?

I wanted to use the more general case. To be honest, I just wanted to check my work.

If it's not zero, then it's not harmonic.

Shackleford said:
I wanted to use the more general case. To be honest, I just wanted to check my work.

If it's not zero, then it's not harmonic.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Don't do the general case. Just do these two special cases. What about those?

Dick said:
I'm not sure what you are saying here. Don't do the general case. Just do these two special cases. What about those?

Sorry. It was my mistake. For some reason I wanted to generalize to a function f(z).

Here, the first is harmonic. Δ(2x) = 0 and Δ(2x2+2y2) = 4 + 4 = 8.

##(x+iy)(x-iy)## is not equal to ##x^2-y^2##.

Dick said:
##(x+iy)(x-iy)## is not equal to ##x^2-y^2##.

Corrected.

Shackleford said:
Sorry. It was my mistake. For some reason I wanted to generalize to a function f(z).

Here, the first is harmonic. Δ(2x) = 0 and Δ(2x2+2y2) = 4 + 4 = 8.

That's better.

Dick said:
That's better.

Thanks again.

Related to Determine whether functions are harmonic

1. What is a harmonic function?

A harmonic function is a type of function in mathematics that satisfies the Laplace equation, which means that the function's second derivatives with respect to its variables are equal to 0. In simpler terms, it is a function that is smooth and has no curvature.

2. How can I determine if a function is harmonic?

To determine if a function is harmonic, you can use the Laplace equation to check if its second derivatives are equal to 0. If they are, then the function is harmonic. Another way is to plot the function and see if it has a smooth shape with no curvature.

3. What are some examples of harmonic functions?

Some common examples of harmonic functions include the sine and cosine functions, as well as polynomial functions such as f(x) = x^2. In physics, the gravitational potential and electric potential functions are also examples of harmonic functions.

4. Can a function be both harmonic and non-harmonic?

No, a function can only be either harmonic or non-harmonic. If a function satisfies the Laplace equation, it is considered to be harmonic. If it does not satisfy the equation, then it is non-harmonic.

5. What is the importance of determining whether a function is harmonic or not?

Determining whether a function is harmonic can help in solving various mathematical and physical problems. Harmonic functions have many useful properties that make them valuable in applications such as potential theory, fluid mechanics, and electromagnetism. Additionally, identifying non-harmonic functions can also provide insights into the behavior of more complex functions.