Determine Vo for the following network.

• Thread starter HebrewHammer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the output voltage for a network using KVL. The classmate suggests using the principle of superposition and modeling the diode as a voltage source. The final solution involves finding the Thevenin equivalent circuit and using KVL to find the output voltage for different periods.
HebrewHammer

Homework Statement

Determine Vo for the following network

[PLAIN]http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7041/63014601.jpg.

Homework Equations

Too many to list I would think. I'm pretty sure I have to use KVL.

The Attempt at a Solution

My classmate told me the answer was 2.45V. I can't for the life of me get even close to this. I need some fresh ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a time-varying input voltage, so the output should also be time-varying. (At least in this case.) It could be useful to model the diode as a voltage source. You could use the principle of superposition to find the voltage over the resistor...

Think I got it,

Applying KVL

-20 + Vc - 5 = 0
Vc = 25V

The capacitor is charged up to 25 V.
Thevenin equivalent ckt of that portion of the network which includes Battery and resistor will result in RTH = 0Ω and ETH = V = 5V.

For the period t₂-t₃
Applying KVL
10V + 25 - v₀ = 0
v₀ = 35 V

What do you think?

Almost right.

You need to consider what will happen when the input changes.

As a scientist, my approach to solving this problem would be to first analyze the circuit using Kirchhoff's laws, specifically Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). This law states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. Using this law, I would start by identifying all the loops in the circuit and writing out the equations for each loop.

Next, I would use Ohm's law to calculate the voltage drops across each resistor in the circuit. Ohm's law states that the voltage drop (V) across a resistor is equal to the current (I) flowing through the resistor multiplied by the resistance (R). By calculating the voltage drops across each resistor, I can then use KVL to solve for the unknown voltage, Vo.

Additionally, I would also consider the current flowing through the circuit and how it is affected by the different resistors. Using Ohm's law again, I can calculate the total resistance of the circuit and use it to determine the total current (I) flowing through the circuit. This information can then be used to solve for Vo using KVL.

In order to verify the answer of 2.45V given by your classmate, I would recommend checking the calculations and steps they used to arrive at that answer. It is always important to double check and verify results, especially in scientific and mathematical problems. If the calculations and steps are correct, then the answer of 2.45V is most likely correct. However, if the calculations and steps are incorrect, then it would be important to identify where the mistake was made and correct it.

In conclusion, solving this problem requires a systematic approach using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. It is important to carefully analyze the circuit and consider all the different factors, such as voltage drops and current flow, in order to arrive at the correct answer.

Related to Determine Vo for the following network.

1. What is Vo?

Vo refers to the output voltage of an electronic circuit or network. It is the voltage that is measured at the output terminal of the circuit.

2. How is Vo determined?

Vo is determined by the input voltage, the circuit components (such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors), and the circuit topology. By analyzing the circuit using circuit analysis techniques, the output voltage can be calculated.

3. Can Vo be negative?

Yes, Vo can be negative. In some circuits, the output voltage can have a polarity that is opposite to the input voltage. This can occur when there are components such as diodes or transistors in the circuit that can change the direction of the voltage.

4. What units is Vo measured in?

The unit for Vo is volts (V), which is a measure of electric potential difference. In some cases, the output voltage may also be measured in millivolts (mV) or microvolts (µV).

5. How does changing the circuit components affect Vo?

Changing the circuit components, such as the resistance or capacitance, can affect Vo by changing the circuit's overall impedance. This can result in a change in the output voltage, which can be calculated using circuit analysis techniques.