Determine the resultant internal loadings in the crane

In summary, the conversation is discussing the internal loadings on a jib crane and column at different cross-sections. The crane and column have a uniform weight of 50 lb/ft and the hoist and load weigh 300 lb. The question is to determine the resultant internal loadings at points A, B, and C. The conversation includes a diagram and calculations for point C, and a question about the weight used in the calculation for point C.
jjiimmyy101
QUESTION: The boom DF of the jib crane and the column DE have a uniform weight of 50 lb/ft. If the hoist and load weight 300 lb, determine the resultant internal loadings in the crane on cross sections through points A, B, and C. (Diagram and answers are attached)

I'm just hoping someone could look at what I did and tell me if I did it correctly.

Attachments

• 1-2.JPG
    1-2.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 1,556
  • pointA.JPG
    pointA.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,242
  • pointB.JPG
    pointB.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,187
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's point C

Attachments

• pointC.JPG
    pointC.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,511
Looks good to me, but did you take the correct weight for DC in your calculation of point C?

The boom DF of the jib crane and the column DE have a uniform weight of 50 lb/ft.

What I did was find the force acting on the entire beam DF, not just DC.
That's why I got 650 lb (50lb/ft*13ft and it acts @ 6.5ft). Is that the right way to do it? And I was wondering if that force I put right on point D is correct. Thanks for the input.

Wouldn't the downward force placed at D be 250 lb?

There is 5 feet of column above cross-section C. So wouldn't you multiply (5 ft)*(50 lb/ft) = 250 lb?

Related to Determine the resultant internal loadings in the crane

1. What is the purpose of determining the resultant internal loadings in a crane?

The purpose of determining the resultant internal loadings in a crane is to understand the forces and stresses acting within the crane's structure. This information can help engineers ensure that the crane is designed and built to safely handle the expected loads and prevent structural failures.

2. How are the internal loadings in a crane calculated?

The internal loadings in a crane are calculated using mathematical equations and principles of mechanics. The crane's geometry, applied loads, and support conditions are taken into account to determine the internal forces and stresses at different points within the crane's structure.

3. What factors can affect the resultant internal loadings in a crane?

The resultant internal loadings in a crane can be affected by various factors such as the weight and distribution of the load being lifted, the crane's structural design, the support conditions at the base of the crane, and environmental conditions such as wind and temperature.

4. How do engineers ensure that the resultant internal loadings in a crane are within safe limits?

Engineers use industry standards and guidelines to determine the maximum safe internal loadings for cranes. They also conduct thorough analyses and simulations to ensure that the crane's structural components can withstand the expected loads without failing or deforming beyond acceptable limits.

5. Are the resultant internal loadings in a crane constant or do they change during operation?

The resultant internal loadings in a crane can change during operation as the crane moves and lifts different loads. The internal forces and stresses will also vary depending on the crane's position and orientation. Therefore, it is important to constantly monitor and analyze the internal loadings to ensure the crane's structural integrity and safety.