Determine the interval validity of this separable equation

In summary, the problem asks for the solution of a given initial value problem and the interval in which the solution is defined. The solution is found to be y = sqrt(2(1-x)e^x - 1), and the book gives the interval -1.68 < x < 0.77. However, finding this interval involves solving an equation using the Lambert W function, which may not be learned yet. Alternatively, the equation can be solved numerically.
jwxie

Homework Statement

Find the solution of the given initial value problem in explicit form and determine the interval in which the solution is defined.

[itex]\[x dx+ye^{-x}dy = 0\][/itex] with initial condition y(0) = 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the first part correctly.

The solution is [itex]\[y = \sqrt{[2(1-x)e^{x}-1]}\][/itex] and the book gives the interval -1.68 < x < 0.77

I don't know how to find the interval. I set the expression under the square root greater than or equal to zero. Then I take natural log on both sides...
[itex]\[2e^{x}-2xe^{x}-1 \geq 0\][/itex]
[itex]\[e^{x}-xe^{x} \geq \frac{1}{2}\][/itex]
[itex]\[x-ln(x)+x \geq ln(\frac{1}{2})\][/itex]

and I am lost...
Can anyone help me on this one? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
jwxie said:

Homework Statement

Find the solution of the given initial value problem in explicit form and determine the interval in which the solution is defined.

[itex]\[x dx+ye^{-x}dy = 0\][/itex] with initial condition y(0) = 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the first part correctly.

The solution is [itex]\[y = \sqrt{[2(1-x)e^{x}-1]}\][/itex] and the book gives the interval -1.68 < x < 0.77

I don't know how to find the interval. I set the expression under the square root greater than or equal to zero. Then I take natural log on both sides...
[itex]\[2e^{x}-2xe^{x}-1 \geq 0\][/itex]
[itex]\[e^{x}-xe^{x} \geq \frac{1}{2}\][/itex]
[itex]\[x-ln(x)+x \geq ln(\frac{1}{2})\][/itex]

and I am lost...
Can anyone help me on this one? Thank you!

Equations like

[itex]\[e^{x}-xe^{x} = \frac{1}{2}\][/itex]

this can only be solved numerically or using the Lambert W function. This is defined as the inverse of xex. So if you get your equation in the form y = xex, then x = W(y).

There is probably more information than you want to know about this function on the internet. But if you are unfamiliar with this function or don't want to learn about it just now, just solve the equation numerically with a calculator or computer.

Oh right. Thanks. I picked this problem out of the book. I am sure I haven't learned how to solve this yet.
Thanks!

PS: what math course will I learn to solve Lambert W function?
Thanks again!

Related to Determine the interval validity of this separable equation

1. What is an "interval validity" of a separable equation?

The interval validity of a separable equation refers to the range of values for which the solution to the equation is valid. This means that the solution will only be accurate and applicable within this specific interval.

2. How is the interval validity of a separable equation determined?

The interval validity of a separable equation is determined by identifying any restrictions or limitations on the independent variable in the equation. This can be done by looking at the domain of the function or by analyzing the physical context of the problem.

3. What happens if the solution to a separable equation is outside of its interval validity?

If the solution to a separable equation is outside of its interval validity, it means that the solution is not valid for that specific value of the independent variable. This could result in incorrect or irrelevant answers to the problem.

4. Can the interval validity of a separable equation change?

Yes, the interval validity of a separable equation can change depending on any restrictions or limitations on the independent variable. It is important to always check the interval validity when solving separable equations to ensure the accuracy of the solution.

5. How does the interval validity affect the solution to a separable equation?

The interval validity is crucial in determining the accuracy and relevance of the solution to a separable equation. If the solution is outside of the interval validity, it may not accurately represent the problem or provide a meaningful answer. Therefore, it is important to consider the interval validity when solving separable equations.