Determine the horizontal distance that the ball traveled

In summary, the conversation is about a student needing help with a problem involving a baseball being hit at a certain angle and initial speed. The student has come up with equations but is unsure if they are correct. They are advised to use the equations to find the horizontal distance and to be careful with the order of operations. It is also mentioned that the problem is for a precalculus class.
Jaejoong
New member warned about not using the homework template
My teacher never taught us any of this. She just gave us a worksheet, and told us to solve it. I need to know how to solve this for a quiz tomorrow. Problem: Matt hits a baseball with an initial speed of 125 feet per second at an angle of 40 degrees to the horizontal. The ball was hit at a height of 3 feet off the ground. Determine the horizontal distance that the ball traveled.

So I came up with the equations, but I don't know if they're right.
X=125cos40t
Y=-16t^2 +125sin40t+3

Physics news on Phys.org
Jaejoong said:
My teacher never taught us any of this. She just gave us a worksheet, and told us to solve it. I need to know how to solve this for a quiz tomorrow. Problem: Matt hits a baseball with an initial speed of 125 feet per second at an angle of 40 degrees to the horizontal. The ball was hit at a height of 3 feet off the ground. Determine the horizontal distance that the ball traveled.

So I came up with the equations, but I don't know if they're right.
X=125cos40t
Y=-16t^2 +125sin40t+3
Hello Jaejoong. Welcome to PF .

In the future please use the template that appears when you open a Thread.

Those equations should be useful in helping you solve this problem.

You can use the equation for Y to find the amount of time that the baseball is in flight.

From that, X gives the horizontal distance.

Be careful to use the correct order of operations.

Y = -16t2 +125(sin40°)t + 3

X = 125(cos40°)tIs this for an Algebra class or for a Physics class?

This is for a precalc class

Related to Determine the horizontal distance that the ball traveled

1. How do you determine the horizontal distance that a ball traveled?

The horizontal distance that a ball travels can be determined by using the equation d = vxt, where d is the distance, vx is the horizontal velocity, and t is the time the ball is in motion.

2. What units are used to measure the horizontal distance of a ball?

The horizontal distance of a ball is typically measured in meters (m) or feet (ft).

3. How do you measure the horizontal velocity of a ball?

The horizontal velocity of a ball can be measured using a speedometer or by calculating the change in position over time.

4. Can other factors affect the horizontal distance a ball travels?

Yes, other factors such as air resistance, wind, and surface friction can affect the horizontal distance a ball travels.

5. How accurate is the calculation of the horizontal distance a ball traveled?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the precision of the measurements and the assumptions made in the equation. It is important to take into account any external factors that may affect the ball's motion to ensure the most accurate calculation.