Determine the highest and lowest elevation on a path

• Thread starter Miley4567
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary: The objective function in this problem is z = f(x, y), and the constraints are x = 2cos(t) and y = 3sin(t). You can use the constraint equations to eliminate x and y, leaving you with just a function of t, which is z = f(2cos(t), 3sin(t)). Then differentiate and set the result to zero to find critical points. Then use the second derivative test to determine whether each critical point is a max or a min.
Miley4567

Homework Statement

Determine the highest and lowest elevations given by the height
z = f(x,y) = 1 - (1/16)x^2 - (1/9)y^2
on the path r(t) = <2cos(t), 3sin(t)>. The xy position on the path at time t is given by r(t).

Homework Equations

Lagrange Multipliers
Partial derivatives

The Attempt at a Solution

I was going to try using the Lagrange Multiplier method to find the extreme values of the function f(x,y), but I would need the xy position to be given as an equation and in x and y terms. I am confused as to how to do this because we are given a position vector instead, in terms of t.

Could anyone help me out and guide me with how to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Miley4567 said:

Homework Statement

Determine the highest and lowest elevations given by the height
z = f(x,y) = 1 - (1/16)x^2 - (1/9)y^2
on the path r(t) = <2cos(t), 3sin(t)>. The xy position on the path at time t is given by r(t).

Homework Equations

Lagrange Multipliers
Partial derivatives

The Attempt at a Solution

I was going to try using the Lagrange Multiplier method to find the extreme values of the function f(x,y), but I would need the xy position to be given as an equation and in x and y terms. I am confused as to how to do this because we are given a position vector instead, in terms of t.

Could anyone help me out and guide me with how to do this?
On the path, x(t) = 2cos(t), and y(t) = 3sin(t). So you could write f(x, y) as a function of t alone, and then use the derivative to find the maximum and minimum values. That's how I would approach this problem.

Before choosing the method, understand the problem.
The path is being given to you as a position vector that varies with t. What shape is the path?
As you travel along that path, how does z vary?

[edit] mark44 beat me to it.

Mark44 said:
On the path, x(t) = 2cos(t), and y(t) = 3sin(t). So you could write f(x, y) as a function of t alone, and then use the derivative to find the maximum and minimum values. That's how I would approach this problem.
That sounds like a good idea, I should have thought of that. But then I am confused as to how to turn the position vector into a function that I can use to find extreme values (min/max).

Miley4567 said:
That sounds like a good idea, I should have thought of that. But then I am confused as to how to turn the position vector into a function that I can use to find extreme values (min/max).

Here's what Mark44 said above:
Mark44 said:

Try that.

Miley4567 said:
If you are having trouble understanding mark44's suggestion, try the focussing questions in post #3.
It is very difficult to tell you more detail without effectively telling you the answer too.

Miley4567 said:
LCKurtz said:
Here's what Mark44 said above:Try that.
Ya I get that, but to use Lagrange Multipliers, I need two sets of equations, and plugging in the 2cost and 3sint into the f(x,y) equation still only leaves me with one equation to use to find a max and min.

So don't use Lagrange multipliers... have you heard of the 1st and second derivative tests?

Miley4567 said:
Ya I get that, but to use Lagrange Multipliers, I need two sets of equations, and plugging in the 2cost and 3sint into the f(x,y) equation still only leaves me with one equation to use to find a max and min.

I don't see why you would want or need to use Lagrange multipliers in this problem. Lagrange multipliers are designed to deal with certain types of problems, and this is not one of them.

Related to Determine the highest and lowest elevation on a path

1. What is the highest elevation on a path?

The highest elevation on a path is the point that has the greatest height above sea level along the path's route.

2. How do you determine the highest elevation on a path?

The highest elevation on a path can be determined by using topographic maps, GPS devices, or online mapping tools. These tools can provide elevation data and help identify the highest point along a path.

3. What is the lowest elevation on a path?

The lowest elevation on a path is the point that has the lowest height above sea level along the path's route.

4. How do you determine the lowest elevation on a path?

The lowest elevation on a path can be determined using the same methods as determining the highest elevation. Topographic maps, GPS devices, and online mapping tools can help identify the lowest point along a path.

5. Why is it important to determine the highest and lowest elevation on a path?

Determining the highest and lowest elevation on a path can provide important information for hikers, bikers, and other outdoor enthusiasts. It can help them plan their route, understand the difficulty level of the path, and prepare for potential hazards such as steep inclines or declines.