Determine the angular speed theta_dot

In summary: Vr^2... or even V (r^2)?In summary, the student is trying to solve for the velocity of a particle moving in a circular coordinate system, but is having trouble understanding the concepts. He is asking for help from someone who is more experienced in the subject.
CGI

Homework Statement

upload_2016-1-24_13-13-6.png

Homework Equations

Vθ = r x θdot
Vr = rdot

Accelθ = r ⋅ θdot^2 + 2(r dot)(theta dot)
Accelr = r double dot - (r ⋅(θdot)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the answer is supposed to be
upload_2016-1-24_13-19-2.png

But I'm not quite sure on how I'm supposed to get to an answer like that.
I'm still relatively new to polar coordinates, but I was hoping someone
could get me to start thinking in the right direction?

I thought that my position would be R = bθ and if I took the derivative with
respect to θ, I would get R_dot = b, which I think would be equal to π/2.

I'm not quite sure that's right though. I'd really appreciate it if someone could
help me out!

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought that my position would be R = bθ and if I took the derivative with
respect to θ, I would get R_dot = b, which I think would be equal to π/2.
The position is not ##R=b\theta## ... ##\dot R \neq dR/d\theta## ... and there is no reason b should be any particular value.
You need to start again - what is the definition of "position"? What is the definition of "velocity" and how does that relate to "speed"? What does the dot notation tell you?

Okay, I'm sorry it took so long to respond. I actually waited to talk to my professor to understand polar coordinates a little better.
I can't come up with a good definition of position except that they are coordinates to a particular point on a graph. When I think of velocity I often think
of something with a magnitude and direction. The magnitude of the velocity would also give you the speed. The dot notation was tripping me up for
a while, but from what I understand it signals the 1st or 2nd derivatives of something, depending on how many dots there are.

Simon Bridge said:
The position is not R=bθ
Just to be clear, what are you objecting to there? I agree that it would be more accurate to say "the position in polar coordinates is (r,θ) where r=bθ."
CGI said:
Vθ = r x θdot
Vr = rdot
Writing it that way is open to misinterpretation. Better:
##V_{\theta}=r\dot \theta##
##V_r=\dot r##
I.e., these are the tangential and radial components of the velocity. Since you are given the speed, what equation does that allow you to write?
Yes, the dots indicate differentiation with respect to time. If you differentiate both side of r=bθ with respect to time, what do you get?

I'm sorry, I'd like to write the proper terms, but I'm just not sure how. I'll try to be as clear as possible. If I differentiate r=bθ, would I just get (r dot) = (b ⋅ θ dot)?

I can't come up with a good definition of position except that they are coordinates to a particular point on a graph. When I think of velocity I often think
of something with a magnitude and direction. The magnitude of the velocity would also give you the speed. The dot notation was tripping me up for
a while, but from what I understand it signals the 1st or 2nd derivatives of something, depending on how many dots there are.
In this case, the position would be given in polar coordinates ... so position is ##\overrightarrow{OB} = \vec r = R\hat r + \theta \hat \theta## or you can write it as an ordered pair like haruspex did.
The velocity is the rate of change of position... so you differentiate the position with respect to time.
The dot represents the derivative with respect to time. The "prime" notation refers to the derivative with length.

If you differentiate r = b\theta wrt time, you get ##\dot r = b\dot\theta## ... yes... which gives you the rate of change of the radial distance from the origin.
That is: the component of the velocity that points along ##\overrightarrow{OB}##.

The velocity vector will have another component that points perpendicular to ##\overrightarrow{OB}## which harispex gives as ##V_\theta##.

Okay great, so wouldn't theta_dot just be r_dot/b where r_dot equals Initial velocity?

CGI said:
Okay great, so wouldn't theta_dot just be r_dot/b where r_dot equals Initial velocity?
Yes, ##\dot \theta=\dot r/b##, but ##\dot r## is only the radial component of velocity, vr. As I posted, and as shown in your own relevant equations, there is also the tangential component ##v_\theta=r\dot\theta##. These two components are at right angles. So what is the overall speed?

Could I say the overall velocity would be Vr^2 + V theta^2? And square root everything?

CGI said:
Could I say the overall velocity would be Vr^2 + V theta^2? And square root everything?
Yes, but please try to use clearer notation, either with LaTeX or using the subscript and superscript featuresin the toolbar (X2, X2). You mean Vr2 +Vtheta2.

Okay I'll try the best I can with LaTeX. So could I set the whole velocity equation equal to that velocity and solve for θdot?

##sqrt{V_r^2 + V_(theta)^2}## = r_dot + r ⋅ θ_dot

And would my Vo just equal my r_dot?

CGI said:
##sqrt{V_r^2 + V_(theta)^2}## = r_dot + r ⋅ θ_dot
You need to put backslashes in front of the keywords sqrt, theta, and the closing double hash should be right at the end. Use the prefix \dot to get the overhead dot. Enclose superscripts and subscripts of more than one character in curly braces {}.
So your equation above should be written:
\sqrt{V_r^2 + V_{\theta}^2} = \dot r + r \dot\theta
Which comes out as:
##\sqrt{V_r^2 + V_{\theta}^2} = \dot r + r \dot\theta##
(To see the latex someone else has used, right click on the algebraic expression in their post and select Show Math As... You can copy and paste it out of there, then edit it to your own needs.)
But that's wrong because ##V_r=\dot r##, and ##V_{\theta}=r\dot\theta##, so what have you left out on the right hand side?
CGI said:
And would my Vo just equal my r_dot?
No, it is the overall speed, as in your root-sum-square expression above.

I feel like it should have something to do with b, but I'm not sure quite sure how I would put it on the right hand side..

CGI said:
I feel like it should have something to do with b, but I'm not sure quite sure how I would put it on the right hand side..
Let's take this in simple steps. Try to answer each in turn.
1. The velocity has two components, the radial velocity and the tangential velocity. Call these ##V_r## and ##V_{\theta}##.
These are at right angles.
In terms of those two variables, what is the overall speed? (You already got this in post #11.)
2. What are you told the overall speed is?
3. What equation can you write down from the answers to 1 and 2?
4. What expression do you have for ##V_r## in terms (some of) of r, b and theta?
5. What expression do you have for ##V_{\theta}##in terms (some of) of r, b and theta?
6. Using 4. and 5., substitute for ##V_r## and ##V_{\theta}## in your equation from 3.
That's enough for now.

1. The overall speed would equal
##\sqrt{V_r^2 + V_{\theta}^2}##
2. Vo is the constant speed of the collar.
3. I could say that ##\sqrt{V_r^2 + V_{\theta}^2}## = Vo
4. Vr is the same as ##\dot r## which is the same as b##\dot θ##
5. Vθ would be r##\dot θ##.. I think
6. ##\sqrt{b\dot θ + r\dot θ}## Would be the final equation after everything is plugged in.

Is this correct?

CGI said:
1. The overall speed would equal
##\sqrt{V_r^2 + V_{\theta}^2}##
2. Vo is the constant speed of the collar.
3. I could say that ##\sqrt{V_r^2 + V_{\theta}^2}## = Vo
4. Vr is the same as ##\dot r## which is the same as b##\dot θ##
5. Vθ would be r##\dot θ##.. I think
6. ##\sqrt{b\dot θ + r\dot θ}## Would be the final equation after everything is plugged in.

Is this correct?
Close, but you forgot to square the terms.
Next step is to use the equation of the curve so that you can replace r.

Wow! I got it! Thank you so much for all the help. I know it was a loooong process, but I fully understand now and I have the right answer.
Appreciate all the help!

Well done.

Related to Determine the angular speed theta_dot

1. What is the definition of angular speed?

Angular speed, also known as angular velocity, is the rate at which an object rotates or moves in a circular path. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is angular speed related to linear speed?

Angular speed and linear speed are related through the equation v = r * theta_dot, where v is linear speed, r is the radius of the circular path, and theta_dot is the angular speed.

3. How do you calculate angular speed?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear speed by the radius of the circular path.

4. What is the unit of measurement for angular speed?

The unit of measurement for angular speed is radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

5. How does angular speed differ from angular acceleration?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving in a circular path, while angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly the angular speed is changing. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2) or degrees per second squared (deg/s^2).