Determine the angular momentum in polar coordinates

In summary: This appears to be what's happening in the given equations - the angular momentum is zero because the angular term is absent in the cross product of the vectors.
welssen
Hi there,

I've been trying to solve the following problem, which I found looks pretty basic, but actually got me really confused about the definition of angular momentum.

Problem
The trajectory of a point mass m is described by the following equations, in spherical coordinates:
[itex] r(t) = r_0 + v_0t [/itex]
[itex]\phi(t) = \omega_0t [/itex].
Determine the angular momentum of m (in spherical coordinates).

The attempt at a solution
Angular momentum is defined as [itex] \vec{l} = m\cdot\vec{x(t)}\times\vec{v(t)} [/itex].
Here, I would say, [itex] \vec{x(t)} = r(t)\hat{r} + \phi(t)\hat{\phi} [/itex].
I would take the cross product of this vector with its derivative (the speed) multiplied by mass to get the angular momentum.

But apparently this is wrong. In the given solutions, [itex] \vec{x(t)} = r(t)\hat{r} [/itex]. The angular term is absent.

Could someone explain why the angular term is set to 0 in the cross product of angular momentum?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
welssen said:
Does that make sense dimensionally?

haruspex said:
Does that make sense dimensionally?
Yes it makes sense: in polar coordinates [itex] \hat{\phi} [\itex] is a unit vector perpendicular to [itex]\hat{r}[\itex]. Here is a picture of it dimensionally:
http://i.gyazo.com/6685ade5d3ab158b496077f7481551ea.png

welssen said:
Yes it makes sense: in polar coordinates [itex] \hat{\phi} [\itex] is a unit vector perpendicular to [itex]\hat{r}[\itex].
But it is dimensionally wrong. x and r have dimension of length, φ does not.
##\vec r## means the same as ##\vec x##. They are both the vector representing the point.

Or think about it this way: if you start at the origin and go distance r in the direction of the vector r, won't you be at the point?
Maybe you are getting confused with ##\dot{\vec x}=\dot{\vec r}=\dot r\hat r+r\dot \phi\hat\phi##.

Last edited:
welssen said:

No, that's not correct. If you have a point [itex]P[/itex] in 2-D space, the associated vector [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is the vector from the origin to the point [itex]P[/itex]. The coordinate [itex]r[/itex] is just the magnitude of [itex]\vec{r}[/itex], and [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] is the unit vector [itex]\frac{1}{r} \vec{r}[/itex]. So [itex]\hat{\phi}[/itex] doesn't appear at all in the position vector. It does appear in the velocity vector, though:

[itex]\frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt} r \hat{r} = \frac{dr}{dt} \hat{r} + r \frac{d \hat{r}}{dt}[/itex]

[itex]\phi[/itex] comes into play because [itex]\frac{d\hat{r}}{dt} = \frac{d\phi}{dt} \hat{\phi}[/itex]

So

[itex]\frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} = \frac{dr}{dt} \hat{r} + r \frac{d \phi}{dt} \hat{\phi}[/itex]

I'm not sure what's the best way to demonstrate these facts, but you can show that:

[itex]\frac{d \hat{\phi}}{dt} = - \frac{d\phi}{dt} \hat{r}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d \hat{r}}{dt} = \frac{d\phi}{dt} \hat{\phi}[/itex]

Related to Determine the angular momentum in polar coordinates

What is angular momentum in polar coordinates?

Angular momentum in polar coordinates is a physical quantity that measures the rotational movement of an object around a fixed point in a two-dimensional plane. It takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance from the fixed point of the rotating object.

How is angular momentum calculated in polar coordinates?

The formula for calculating angular momentum in polar coordinates is L = mr²ω, where m is the mass of the object, r is the distance from the fixed point, and ω is the angular velocity (rate of change of the angle) of the object.

What is the difference between angular momentum in polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

The main difference is the way the coordinates are represented. In polar coordinates, the position of an object is described using an angle and a distance from a fixed point, while in Cartesian coordinates, the position is described using x and y coordinates on a plane.

How does angular momentum change in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, the magnitude of angular momentum remains constant unless an external torque is applied. However, the direction of the angular momentum vector may change as the object rotates around the fixed point.

Why is angular momentum important in physics?

Angular momentum is an important concept in physics because it is a conserved quantity, meaning it remains constant in a closed system. This allows us to understand and predict the motion of rotating objects and systems, such as planets orbiting the sun or particles spinning in a magnetic field.