Determine tensor of inertia of a rod

In summary, in order to find the inertia tensor of a rod, you need to use the formulas ##I_{xx}=\int y^2 + z^2 dm## and ##I_{xy}=\int xy dm##, where dm represents a mass element at some (x,y,z) with density ##\rho##. To simplify the calculations, it is recommended to introduce ds as a length element and use a mass per unit length density. As for the difference between rods and other shapes, the calculation process will vary depending on the shape and the coordinates chosen.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
The pictures show two rods of homogeneous mass ##m## and length ##l##. Determine their inertia tensors.
Relevant Equations
Matrix of inertia
I have to find the inertia tensor of these rods and I don't have the concept that clear...
I mean, I know the formulas like:
##I_{xx}=\int y^2 + z^2 dm##
##I_{xy}=\int xy dm##

But I don't know what ##x, y, z, dm## stand for. In other words, I don't know what I should replace in the formula with.

Can you do one example for me? Just one, like "in the first picture, if you want to calculate ##I_x##, where you have ##y## you have to replace with b because that's..., and where you have ##z## you have to replace with 0 because..."

And what would it be the difference if these pictures didn't show rods but cylinders or another shape?

Thanks

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1577896716082.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1577896716082.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 209
Physics news on Phys.org
The general principle is that dm is a mass element at some (x,y,z), so if the density there is ##\rho## then ##dm=\rho dxdydz##. Substituting that gives you a triple integral for each tensor component,
Given that this is just a rod, it will probably be more convenient to introduce ds as a length element and use a mass per unit length density. Expressing the coordinates as functions of s should give you single integrals.

Related to Determine tensor of inertia of a rod

1. What is the tensor of inertia of a rod?

The tensor of inertia of a rod is a mathematical representation of the rod's resistance to rotational motion. It takes into account the mass distribution of the rod and its orientation in space.

2. How is the tensor of inertia of a rod calculated?

The tensor of inertia of a rod can be calculated using the formula I = ∫r²dm, where I is the tensor of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the element of mass, and dm is the mass element.

3. What factors affect the tensor of inertia of a rod?

The tensor of inertia of a rod is affected by the mass distribution of the rod, the shape of the rod, and the orientation of the rod in space. A longer and thinner rod will have a higher tensor of inertia compared to a shorter and thicker rod.

4. How does the tensor of inertia of a rod relate to its rotational motion?

The tensor of inertia of a rod determines how much torque is needed to produce a certain amount of rotational acceleration. A rod with a higher tensor of inertia will require more torque to rotate compared to a rod with a lower tensor of inertia.

5. Can the tensor of inertia of a rod be changed?

Yes, the tensor of inertia of a rod can be changed by altering its mass distribution or its orientation in space. For example, adding weights or changing the position of the rod can affect its tensor of inertia.