Determine resultant resistance in network (Thévenin)

In summary, the conversation is about the process of calculating the resultant resistance between points A and B in a circuit that includes |-| parts, short-circuited ideal DC power supplies, and a Wheatstone bridge. The two methods discussed for finding the resistance are using Y-Delta conversion and inserting a voltage or current source to simplify the network. The conversation ends with the poster solving their issue with finding the Thévenin voltage using mesh current analysis.
Twinflower

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the resultant resistance between points A and B
The |-| parts are short curcuited ideal DC power supplies (illustration only)

This is the circuit:
Th%C3%A9venin.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex] R_P = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{R1}+\frac{1}{R3}+\frac{1}{Rn}}[/tex]
[tex]R_S = R_1 + R_2 + R_N[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find any pure series or pure parallel resistance, so I really do not know where to start at this.
Simulation in Multisim gives me a resistance at 5.7 Ohm.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you.
Also, someone whispered that i had to transfer the two deltas to star-networks, so I am working on that one now.

Twinflower said:
Thank you.
Also, someone whispered that i had to transfer the two deltas to star-networks, so I am working on that one now.

It's sufficient to just transform one of the star networks (eg the 4.5, 5, 6 ohms) to delta.

Other ways are to insert a 1 amp current source between A and B and to use nodal analysis to find the input voltage (which is numerically equal to the input resistance) or to insert a 1 volt voltage source between A and B and use mesh analysis to find the input current (which is numerically equal to the input conductance).

TADA

wheatstone.jpg

Nicely done. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you would need to use Y-Delta conversion to simplify a network and can't remember the formulas you can always slap a 1V voltage source on the network (across AB) and use mesh analysis (or your own favorite method) to find the current, I, that this source will be driving into the network. The network resistance is then given by R = V/I.

Thank you gneill :)

I have a further question about this problem as I am stuck with finding the thévenin voltage of the network, but I haven't found the time to create a new post showing my attempts yet.

stay tuned

Ok, I solved that issue using mesh current analysis. No further assistance needed from my part in this thread :)

Related to Determine resultant resistance in network (Thévenin)

1. What is Thévenin's theorem?

Thévenin's theorem is a fundamental principle in electrical circuit analysis that states that any linear electrical network with voltage and current sources can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a voltage source in series with a single resistor. This equivalent circuit is known as the Thévenin equivalent circuit.

2. How do I determine the Thévenin equivalent resistance in a network?

To determine the Thévenin equivalent resistance in a network, you can follow these steps:

1. Remove all voltage sources from the network and replace them with short circuits.
  2. Calculate the total resistance of the network using series and parallel resistors.
  3. Place a test voltage source across the two terminals of the network and calculate the current through the network.
  4. The Thévenin equivalent resistance is equal to the test voltage divided by the calculated current.

3. What is the significance of the Thévenin equivalent resistance?

The Thévenin equivalent resistance is useful in simplifying complex networks and allows for easier analysis of circuit behavior. It also helps in determining the maximum power transfer from a network to a load.

4. Can I use Thévenin's theorem for non-linear networks?

No, Thévenin's theorem only applies to linear networks with voltage and current sources. Non-linear networks require more complex analysis methods.

5. How does Thévenin's theorem relate to Norton's theorem?

Thévenin's theorem and Norton's theorem are complementary to each other. While Thévenin's theorem uses a voltage source and a single resistor, Norton's theorem uses a current source and a single resistor. Both theorems provide an equivalent circuit for a given network and can be used interchangeably in circuit analysis.