Determine potential difference (circuits)

In summary, to solve the given problem, one must first find the I values and direction of current. Then, choose the zero of potential at b and find the change of potential across each element while keeping in mind that potential decreases in the direction of current flow. The final answer should be 45V, which can be calculated by dividing 590 by 13.
kyle

Homework Statement

Va - Vb

reCeGVK.gif

Homework Equations

V = IR
Loop rule
Node rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm able to find each I value, as well as the direction of current. I'm not sure what to do after that. I know the answer should be 45V, but everything I've tried doesn't lead to that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Choose the zero of the potential at b. Knowing the currents on each resistor, choose a path leading from b to a, find the change of potential across each element. Note that the potential decreases in the direction of flow of a current.

ehild

45,3846V exactly, that is 590/13V

mr_pavlo said:
45,3846V exactly, that is 590/13V

It looks correct. :smile:

ehild

To determine the potential difference between Va and Vb, you can use the loop rule and node rule to analyze the circuit. The loop rule states that the sum of the potential differences around a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to zero. The node rule states that the sum of the currents entering a node must be equal to the sum of the currents leaving the node.

Using these rules, you can set up equations to solve for the potential difference between Va and Vb. For example, you could start by writing the loop rule equation for the loop containing Va and Vb. This would give you an equation with the known potential differences and the unknown potential difference between Va and Vb.

Similarly, you could write the node rule equation for the node containing Va and Vb. This would give you an equation with the known currents and the unknown potential difference between Va and Vb.

You can then solve these equations simultaneously to find the potential difference between Va and Vb. In this case, the potential difference between Va and Vb should be 45V.

Related to Determine potential difference (circuits)

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is responsible for the flow of electric current.

2. How is potential difference determined?

Potential difference is determined by measuring the voltage between two points in a circuit using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the circuit, allowing it to measure the potential difference without altering the flow of current.

3. What is the unit of measurement for potential difference?

The unit of measurement for potential difference is the volt (V). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as millivolts (mV) or kilovolts (kV) depending on the magnitude of the voltage being measured.

4. How does potential difference affect the flow of current in a circuit?

The greater the potential difference, the greater the flow of current in a circuit. This is because potential difference is responsible for creating an electric field that pushes the charged particles (usually electrons) through the circuit. Therefore, a higher potential difference results in a stronger electric field and a higher flow of current.

5. What factors can affect potential difference in a circuit?

Potential difference can be affected by various factors such as the type of material used in the circuit, the length and thickness of the wire, and the presence of any resistors or other components in the circuit. Additionally, the power source used in the circuit can also affect the potential difference.