Determine if (x3/11)+(x2/8) & 4x-22x+35x are Polynomials

• Thread starter gabby989062
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, the expressions given are being checked to see if they are polynomials. The first one, 12x3-2x2+0.5, is a polynomial. For the second one, (x3/11)+(x2/8), since the fractions are real numbers, it is also a polynomial. However, the third one, 4x-22x+35x, cannot be expressed in the form of a polynomial, as it has a variable in the exponent. Therefore, it is not a polynomial.
gabby989062
the directions are: determine whether each expression is a polynomial.:rolleyes:

i got the easyones like: 12x3-2x2+0.5 is a polynomial

but i can't figure these out:

(x3/11)+(x2/8)
I don't know if the variables can be fractions but i think this could be this:
1/11x3+1/8 x2 so i think it is a polynomial.

4x-22x+35x

im not sure if the variable can be the exponent

please explain how it is or is not a polynomial. thank you:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Polynomials are functions that can be expressed as [itex]a+bx+cx^2+...+px^n[/itex] for real numbers a,b,c,...,p.
Thus the one with fractions is a polynomial because those fractions are real numbers. The one with x in the exponent, though, can't be so written, so it's not a polynomial.

Moo Of Doom said:
Polynomials are functions that can be expressed as [itex]a+bx+cx^2+...+px^n[/itex] for real numbers a,b,c,...,p.
Thus the one with fractions is a polynomial because those fractions are real numbers. The one with x in the exponent, though, can't be so written, so it's not a polynomial.

THANKS DUDIE! I TOTALLY GET IT KNOW!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :!)

Related to Determine if (x3/11)+(x2/8) & 4x-22x+35x are Polynomials

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression that consists of variables and coefficients, combined using operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It does not contain any division by a variable and all exponents must be positive integers.

2. What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of the variable in the expression. For example, in the expression 3x^2 + 2x + 5, the degree is 2.

3. Are (x3/11)+(x2/8) and 4x-22x+35x polynomials?

Yes, both (x3/11)+(x2/8) and 4x-22x+35x are polynomials. They both consist of variables and coefficients combined using addition and subtraction, and the exponents are positive integers.

4. What is the process for determining if an expression is a polynomial?

To determine if an expression is a polynomial, follow these steps:
1. Check that all variables have positive integer exponents.
2. Check that there are no divisions by variables.
3. Check that the coefficients are real numbers.
4. Check that the expression does not contain any irrational numbers, such as square roots or pi.
If all of these criteria are met, then the expression is a polynomial.

5. Can a polynomial have more than one variable?

Yes, a polynomial can have more than one variable. For example, 3x^2 + 2xy + 5y^2 is a polynomial with two variables, x and y. However, each variable must have a positive integer exponent and there cannot be any divisions by variables.