Determine if a wavefunction is sharp or fuzzy in energy

In summary: Yes ... or whatever number of sin(nπx/a) would be the correct one ...And that's where the constants come in?You would need to find the constants for the sin(nπx/a) terms.
wood

Homework Statement

For a particle of mass m in a one-dimensional infinite square well 0 < x < a, the normalised energy eigenfunctions ψn and eigenvalues En (integer n = 1, 2, 3, ...) are

$$ \psi_n(x) =\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} sin \left( \frac{n \pi x}{a} \right) \;$$ inside the well otherwise Ψn(x)=0

Consider a state A with wave function ΨA(x,t) which at time t = 0 is given by
$$\Psi_A(x,0) = \frac {4}{\sqrt{5a}} sin^{3}\left( \frac{\pi x}{a} \right) for\; 0<x<a\; otherwise\; 0. $$

1. Is the state A sharp or fuzzy in energy?
2. Check that ΨA(x, 0) is normalised to one particle.
3. If you think A is sharp in energy, what energy does it have? Otherwise, what are the possible results of repeated energy measurements for the state A, and with what probability do they occur?
4. What is the formula for ΨA(x,t) for all times t?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only part of this question I can confidently do is 2. I have checked this and it is normalised to one particle.

Going back to 1 I am pretty sure that the state A is fuzzy in energy. To check this I think I need ΨA(x, 0) to be an eigenfunction of the K energy operator. Without doing the second derivative I can be pretty sure that function is not coming back anytime soon and is therefore not an eignefunction...

If I am on the right path I think I then need to find <E>A for part 3.

I would really appreciate it is anyone can help point me in the right direction on this.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
wood said:
To check this I think I need ΨA(x, 0) to be an eigenfunction of the K energy operator.
Correct. If it has a definite energy, it will be an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian.

wood said:
If I am on the right path I think I then need to find <E>A for part 3.
No, you do not need to compute the expected energy and in fact it will tell you very little about the mix of eigenvalues. Instead, you should be writing the wave function as a linear combination of different eigenfunctions.

Likes wood
Thanks. I'm not sure how to write my wave function as a linear combination of eigenfunctions, not sure if we have seen that. Is there another way perhaps?

Ps nice quote in your sig.

wood said:
Thanks. I'm not sure how to write my wave function as a linear combination of eigenfunctions, not sure if we have seen that. Is there another way perhaps?

You have a function ##\sin^3(\pi x/a)##. You need to write it as a linear combination of the functions ##\sin(\pi n x/a)##. How would you go about doing this?

Edit: Of course, you will have to care about the constants too, but let us start here.

Are you saying I just separate the ^3 terms into three sin(nπx/a)

wood said:
Are you saying I just separate the ^3 terms into three sin(nπx/a)
Yes ... or whatever number of sin(nπx/a) would be the correct one ...

And that's where the constants come in?

Related to Determine if a wavefunction is sharp or fuzzy in energy

1. What is a wavefunction in quantum mechanics?

A wavefunction is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a particle. It contains information about the location, momentum, and other physical properties of the particle.

2. How is a wavefunction related to energy?

In quantum mechanics, the energy of a particle is represented by the wavefunction. The shape or form of the wavefunction can provide information about the energy of the particle, including whether it is sharp or fuzzy.

3. What does it mean for a wavefunction to be sharp in energy?

A sharp wavefunction means that the energy of the particle is well-defined and has a narrow range of possible values. This can be visualized as a tall, narrow peak on a graph of the wavefunction.

4. How can you determine if a wavefunction is sharp or fuzzy in energy?

One way to determine if a wavefunction is sharp or fuzzy in energy is to calculate the uncertainty in energy, also known as the energy spread. A smaller uncertainty indicates a sharper wavefunction, while a larger uncertainty indicates a fuzzier wavefunction.

5. Why is it important to know if a wavefunction is sharp or fuzzy in energy?

Knowing if a wavefunction is sharp or fuzzy in energy can provide important information about the behavior and properties of a particle. It can also help in predicting the outcomes of experiments and understanding the underlying principles of quantum mechanics.