Determine all solutions in positive integers a, b, and c to this equation.

In summary, there is only one solution for the given equation where a, b, and c are positive integers and a < b < c. Any multiple of this solution will also be a solution. It is not known if there are any solutions that are not a multiple of 1, 2, or 4, but it is certain that there are none with c < 1000.
checkitagain
Determine all solutions for [tex]\dfrac{a}{b} + \dfrac{b}{c} + \dfrac{c}{a} \ = \ 5, [/tex] [tex]where \ \ a, \ b, \ and \ \ c \ \ are \ \ positive \ \ integers, \ \ and \ \ a <b < c.[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
n,2n,4n

Wilmer said:
n,2n,4n

It is quite obvious that any multiple of a solution will also be a solution, so in essence you have a single solution here. Are there any solutions that are not a multiple of 1,2,4?

CB

CaptainBlack said:
> It is quite obvious that any multiple of a solution will also be a solution,
> so in essence you have a single solution here.
Thank you, Sir.

> Are there any solutions that are not a multiple of 1,2,4?
None with c < 1000

Wilmer said:

There is something wrong with your quoting, you are attributing to me an answer rather than the question. Also if that was your answer to the question that I did ask you need to give some explanation, like exhaustive search up to some limit, ... Also partial answers should not be presented as if they are complete answers.

You might be a man of few words but there is a point at which brevity stops conveying meaning.

CB

I do not visit this site often.
I noticed in this case that there had been no answer to the OP's post in over a week;
(plus I notice now that the OP is banned.)
I simply put up a quick reply TO THE OP, not to you.

What are you complaining to me about exactly?
I answered "within" the quote; I did specify a search up to c < 1000;
are you saying that's not "exhaustive" enough?

Or are you complaining about the "..."?
If so, that was because of the "minimum of 3 characters" required by this site.

Anyway, you have the capabilities of banning me, so just do so if I've
sinned appropriately; fine with me.

Related to Determine all solutions in positive integers a, b, and c to this equation.

1. What is the equation in question?

The equation is a^2 + b^2 + c^2 = abc.

2. What is meant by "solutions in positive integers"?

This means that the values of a, b, and c must be whole numbers that are greater than 0.

3. Are there any restrictions on the values of a, b, and c?

Yes, all three values must be positive integers and the equation must hold true for all three values.

4. How many solutions are there for this equation?

It is not possible to determine the exact number of solutions without knowing the specific values of a, b, and c. However, there are an infinite number of possible solutions.

5. What is the significance of finding solutions to this equation?

Equations like this one can have real-world applications in fields such as number theory and cryptography. Finding solutions can also help us better understand and explore the properties of numbers.