Determinant of a special conformal transformation

In summary: Sorry for all the trouble.In summary, the equation 4.52 in Francesco, Mathieu and Senechal's CFT book states that for a special conformal transformation, the determinant of the Jacobian matrix is equal to 1 over the expression (1-2(b*x)+(b^2)*(x^2))^d, where b is a vector and x is a coordinate. This can be derived by expressing the transformation as a product of translations and inversions and noting that the extra terms involving the vector b vanish due to symmetry.
maverick280857
Hi,

I am working through Chapter 4 of Francesco, Mathieu and Senechal's CFT book (https://www.amazon.com/dp/038794785X/?tag=pfamazon01-20). Equation 4.52 states that for a special conformal transformation

[tex]\left|\frac{\partial\textbf{x'}}{\partial\textbf{x}}\right| = \frac{1}{(1-2(\textbf{b}\cdot\textbf{x})+b^2 x^2)^{d}}[/tex]

where |.| denotes the determinant. I know that

[tex]x'^{\mu} = \frac{x^\mu - b^\mu x^2}{1-2 b\cdot x + b^2 x^2}[/tex]

How does this give the determinant above? I would appreciate a hint.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
maverick280857 said:
Hi,

I am working through Chapter 4 of Francesco, Mathieu and Senechal's CFT book (https://www.amazon.com/dp/038794785X/?tag=pfamazon01-20). Equation 4.52 states that for a special conformal transformation

[tex]\left|\frac{\partial\textbf{x'}}{\partial\textbf{x}}\right| = \frac{1}{(1-2(\textbf{b}\cdot\textbf{x})+b^2 x^2)^{d}}[/tex]

where |.| denotes the determinant. I know that

[tex]x'^{\mu} = \frac{x^\mu - b^\mu x^2}{1-2 b\cdot x + b^2 x^2}[/tex]

How does this give the determinant above? I would appreciate a hint.

Thanks in advance!

Note that

[tex]\frac{\partial x'^{\mu}}{\partial x^\nu} = \frac{\delta^\mu_\nu}{1-2 b\cdot x + b^2 x^2} + f_\nu(x) b^\mu + g^\mu(x) b_\nu, [/tex]

where ##f,g## can be easily determined. If you go ahead and express the determinant in your favorite way (using epsilon symbols is most straightforward), you'll find

$$\left| \frac{\partial x'^{\mu}}{\partial x^\nu} \right| = \frac{1}{(1-2 b\cdot x + b^2 x^2)^d} + \epsilon_{\mu_1\mu_2\cdots} b^{\mu_1} b^{\mu_2} \cdots + \cdots.$$

I haven't specified all of the extra terms, but you can see that they always involve antisymmetric combinations of ##b^{\mu_1} b^{\mu_2}## (and similar products with factors of ##f,g##). But all of these terms vanish because products like ##b^{\mu_1} b^{\mu_2}## are actually symmetric.

Make use of the fact that conformal transformations form a group. Write your special transformation as a product of translations and inversions. It's determinant will then be the product of the determinants of the individual transformations.

fzero said:
I haven't specified all of the extra terms, but you can see that they always involve antisymmetric combinations of ##b^{\mu_1} b^{\mu_2}## (and similar products with factors of ##f,g##). But all of these terms vanish because products like ##b^{\mu_1} b^{\mu_2}## are actually symmetric.

Bill_K said:
Make use of the fact that conformal transformations form a group. Write your special transformation as a product of translations and inversions. It's determinant will then be the product of the determinants of the individual transformations.

Thank you fzero and Bill_K. I figured it out using the idea suggested by fzero. But Bill_K, what is the role of b in the translation*inversion product? I remember reading that a special conformal transformation can be decomposed this way, but I didn't quite understand it in the first place. Could you please elaborate.

1. Invert: [itex] x^a \rightarrow x^a/x^2 [/itex].
2. Add [itex] b [/itex]: [itex] x^a/x^2 \rightarrow x^a/x^2 + b^a = (x^a + b^a x^2)/x^2 [/itex].
3. Invert again: [tex] (x^a + b^a x^2)/x^2 \rightarrow \frac{x^2 (x^a + b^a x^2)}{(x + b x^2)^2} = \frac{x^a + b^a x^2}{1 + 2 bx + x^2} [/tex].

Physics Monkey said:
1. Invert: [itex] x^a \rightarrow x^a/x^2 [/itex].
2. Add [itex] b [/itex]: [itex] x^a/x^2 \rightarrow x^a/x^2 + b^a = (x^a + b^a x^2)/x^2 [/itex].
3. Invert again: [itex] (x^a + b^a x^2)/x^2 \rightarrow x^2 (x^a + b^a x^2)/((x + b x^2)^2 = (x^a + b^a x^2)/(1 + 2 bx + x^2) [/itex].

Thanks. I'm so stupid -- I didn't think of breaking it down this way, and it totally slipped my mind that operation 1 is the inversion step.

Related to Determinant of a special conformal transformation

1. What is a special conformal transformation?

A special conformal transformation is a type of mathematical operation that describes how a geometric shape or object changes when it is subjected to a specific type of transformation. In particular, a special conformal transformation involves a combination of translations, rotations, and scalings that can be used to describe symmetries in a given system.

2. What is the determinant of a special conformal transformation?

The determinant of a special conformal transformation describes how the volume or size of a geometric shape or object changes under this type of transformation. It is a mathematical quantity that is used to quantify the overall effect of the transformation on the shape or object in question.

3. How is the determinant of a special conformal transformation calculated?

The determinant of a special conformal transformation can be calculated using a variety of methods, depending on the specific context in which it is being used. In general, it involves taking certain measurements or parameters of the transformation and using them to compute a numerical value that represents the determinant.

4. What is the significance of the determinant of a special conformal transformation?

The determinant of a special conformal transformation is an important quantity in mathematics and physics, as it allows us to understand how a given geometric shape or object changes under this type of transformation. It can also provide insight into the symmetries and properties of a given system, and is used in various fields such as differential geometry, group theory, and quantum mechanics.

5. Can the determinant of a special conformal transformation be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a special conformal transformation can be negative. In fact, for certain types of transformations, such as reflections, the determinant can only take on positive or negative values. This is due to the fact that these transformations involve changing the orientation of the object, which can result in a negative determinant value.