Determinant of (A+B) in GA: where is the mistake?

In summary, Geometric Algebra defines the determinant of a linear function as f(\mathbf{I_n})=det(f)\mathbf{I_n}, where f is a linear function extended as an outermorphism and \mathbf{I_n} is the unit n-blade. However, when introducing the function h(X) = f(X)+g(X), it is shown that det(h) = det(f) + det(g). The mistake in this is that f and g must be defined as mappings from vectors to vectors and then extended to outermorphisms in order for the equation to hold.
mnb96
Hello,
I am quite new to Geometric Algebra, this is the reason for the silly question.
In Geometric Algebra, the following implicit definition of determinant is given:

[tex]f(\mathbf{I_n})=det(f)\mathbf{I_n}[/tex]

where f is a linear function extended as an outermorphism, and [tex]\mathbf{I_n}[/tex] is the unit n-blade for [tex]\wedge\mathcal{R}^n[/tex], for example [tex]e_1\wedge\ldots\wedge e_n[/tex]. It is also shown that f can be represented as a square matrix. We also know that in general: [tex]det(A+B)\neq det(A) + det(B)[/tex].

However if we introduce the function [tex]h(X) = f(X)+g(X)[/tex] we have that:

[tex]h(\mathbf{I_n})= f(\mathbf{I_n}) + g(\mathbf{I_n}) = det(h)\mathbf{I_n} = det(f)\mathbf{I_n} + det(g)\mathbf{I_n}[/tex]

We have essentially proved that det(F+G)=det(F)+det(G). There must be a trivial mistake in this: where is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
After discussing about this issue I think I see where the mistake is.
The mistake was in introducing a function for general multivectors

[tex]h(X) = f(X)+g(X)[/tex]

In this case f and g are not necessarily linear functions extended as outermorphisms, so we cannot treat them in principle in GA, and they do not have matrix representations.
One must define f(x) as a mapping vector->vector and then extend it to outermorphism. Then one would have:

[tex]h(a\wedge b) = h(a)\wedge h(b) = (f(a)+f(b))\wedge (g(a)+g(b))[/tex]

That clearly implies that [tex]h(\mathbf{I})\neq f(\mathbf{I})+g(\mathbf{I})[/tex]

Related to Determinant of (A+B) in GA: where is the mistake?

1. What is the determinant of (A+B) in GA?

The determinant of (A+B) in GA is the value that expresses the relationship between the original coordinates and the transformed coordinates after adding matrices A and B.

2. How is the determinant of (A+B) calculated in GA?

In GA, the determinant of (A+B) is calculated by first finding the determinants of matrices A and B separately, then adding them together and multiplying by the determinant of the identity matrix. The formula is det(A+B) = det(A) + det(B) + det(I).

3. Can the determinant of (A+B) in GA be negative?

Yes, the determinant of (A+B) in GA can be negative. The determinant is a signed value that reflects the orientation of the transformed coordinates. A negative determinant indicates a transformation that results in a reflection or a rotation that is not in the counterclockwise direction.

4. What is the significance of the determinant of (A+B) in GA?

The determinant of (A+B) in GA has several important applications, including determining whether a set of vectors is linearly independent, calculating the volume of a parallelepiped formed by the transformed vectors, and solving systems of linear equations.

5. Is it possible to determine the mistake in the calculation of the determinant of (A+B) in GA?

Yes, it is possible to determine the mistake in the calculation of the determinant of (A+B) in GA. The most common mistake is to forget to include the determinant of the identity matrix in the calculation. Another mistake could be incorrectly finding the determinants of matrices A and B. Double-checking the calculations and using the correct formula will help identify any mistakes.