Determinant in Transformation from spherical to cartesian space

In summary, the jacobian determinant for the xyz --> pψθ transformation is 1/(ρ2sin(ψ)), while the jacobian determinant for the pψθ --> xyz transformation is 1/(ρ2sin(ψ)).
Nikitin

Homework Statement

Evaluate the appropriate determinant to show that the Jacobian of the transformation from Cartesian (this is a typo, they mean spherical) pψθ-space to Cartesian xyz-space is ρ2sin(ψ).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Uhm, I am lost. I'm supposed to prove that when a function F(p,ψ,θ) is transformed into a function H(x,y,z), then the jacobian is ρ2sin(ψ).

But, to do that I am supposed to solve a determinant which involves the partial derivatives of p(x,y,z), ψ(x,y,z) and θ(x,y,z) with respect to x,y,z, namely J(x,y,z)?? That would take an hour, so I assume I am not understanding the problem properly?? As far as I know, evaluating the determinant J(p,ψ,θ) will make ρ2sin(ψ) pop out - but this is for the opposite transformation, from cartesian to spherical space.

I'm confused. Help pls?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, it is not "spaces" that are transformed. It is coordinates.

Write x = x(p, ψ, θ), y = y(p, ψ, θ), z = z(p, ψ, θ) and find the Jacobian of this.

But that's the jacobian for the opposite transformation (cartesian into spherical, I want to find the jacobian of the reverse transformation)! How does that apply here?

The transformation in #2 is from the spherical coordinates into Cartesian.

Well, it's also the jacobian for the cartesian -> spherical transformation..

How can that be? Can somebody explain this jacobian stuff to me?

I think you are confused by the word "transform". This may be because I and whoever gave you the problem use it to mean something different. Could you restate your problem in more details without using this term?

"Evaluate the appropriate determinant to show that the Jacobian of the transformation from Cartesian pψθ-space to Cartesian xyz-space is ρ2sin(ψ)."

This is the exact wording from the book. I am not confused about transformation.

What I am confused about is how ρ2sin(ψ) can be the jacobian determinant for both the xyz --> pψθ transformation, and the pψθ ---> xyz transformation.

The Jacobian for p(x,y,z), ψ(x,y,z) and θ(x,y,z) is not ρ2sin(ψ), simply because it ought to be a function of (x, y, z). But even if expressed via (p, ψ, θ) it will be 1/(ρ2sin(ψ)).

Let's say we have a sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=1.

Its volume can be expressed as -1∫1 -1∫1 -1∫1 dxdydz. If it is transformed into spherical coordinates, then ∫∫∫x^2+y^2+z^2dxdydz --> 0∫2pi 0∫pi 0∫1 J(p,ψ,θ) dpdψdθ,

where the Jacobian J(p,ψ,θ) = p2*sin(ψ).

Where is the flaw in my logic? Here a xyz---> pψθ transformation happened, right?

Last edited:
Nikitin said:
Let's say we have a sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=1.

Its volume can be expressed as -1∫1 -1∫1 -1∫1 x^2+y^2+z^2 dxdydz

I do not understand what this means.

If it is transformed into spherical coordinates, then ∫∫∫x^2+y^2+z^2dxdydz

This is not the volume of the sphere. The volume of the sphere is ∫∫∫dxdydz, where the integration domain is the interior of the sphere.

In spherical coordinates, that becomes ∫∫∫J(ρ,ψ,θ)dρdψdθ, where the integration domain is the "brick" 0 ≤ ρ ≤ 1, 0 ≤ ψ ≤ ∏, 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2∏.

Here a xyz---> pψθ transformation happened, right?

You can say you "transformed" the integration problem from Cartesian to spherical coordinates. However, this uses the "coordinate transformation" from spherical coordinates to Cartesian. And the Jacobian is that of the "coordinate transformation" from spherical coordinates to Cartesian. The word transformation may mean very different things depending on what it is attached to.

Oh, sorry. Youre completely right on the volume thing - my mind is exhausted after 10 hours of cramming. And yeh, i think ill return to this problem tomorrow

Related to Determinant in Transformation from spherical to cartesian space

1. What is the determinant in the transformation from spherical to cartesian space?

The determinant in the transformation from spherical to cartesian space is a mathematical concept that represents the scaling factor or ratio between the volume of a parallelepiped in the original spherical coordinate system and the transformed cartesian coordinate system. It is a crucial component in the conversion between these two coordinate systems.

2. How is the determinant calculated in this transformation?

The determinant in this transformation can be calculated using a formula that involves the Jacobian matrix, which is a matrix of partial derivatives of the transformation equations. The determinant can be calculated by taking the determinant of this Jacobian matrix.

3. What is the significance of the determinant in this transformation?

The determinant is important in this transformation because it represents how the coordinate system is changing. It can indicate whether the transformation is distorting or preserving the shape of objects in the original coordinate system. A determinant of 1 indicates that the transformation is preserving the shape, while a determinant of 0 indicates that the transformation is collapsing the shape into a single point.

4. Can the determinant be negative in this transformation?

Yes, the determinant can be negative in this transformation. A negative determinant indicates that the transformation is not only changing the shape of objects, but also reversing their orientation. This can be visualized by observing the direction of the axes in the transformed coordinate system compared to the original coordinate system.

5. How is the determinant related to the metric tensor in this transformation?

The determinant is related to the metric tensor in this transformation because the metric tensor is used to calculate the determinant. The metric tensor is a mathematical concept that represents the scale factors for each coordinate direction. It is related to the Jacobian matrix and is used to calculate the determinant in the transformation from spherical to cartesian space.