Determin the Electric Potential Difference

In summary, the problem involves determining the electric potential difference between points A, B, and C in a uniform electric field. The magnitude of the electric field is 3000 N/C and the angle of the triangle formed by the points is important in calculating the potential difference. The first two parts of the problem can be solved easily using the given information, but the third part requires using the definition of electric potential and the horizontal and vertical components of the distance. Alternatively, the third part can also be solved by considering the work done by the electric force in the vertical direction.
kvarner83

Homework Statement

The drawing shows a uniform electric field that points in the negative y direction; the magnitude of the field is 3000 N/C. Determine the electric potential difference (a) VB - VA between points A and B, (b) VC - VB between points B and C, and (c) VA - VC between points C and A.

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs2216/art/qb/qu/c19/ch19p_56.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve the first two parts of this problem easily but I am hung up on how the angle of the triangle plays into this.
I know A is zero because they are on the same equipotential field.
B I solved by converting the distance to meters and multiplying that by the magnitude of the electric field.
For C I know that it will be a combination of both the vertical and horizontal direction and I know that I am supposed to find that by using sin or cos but I just can't seem to put it together!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good so far, Kvarner.
At the risk of boring you, I suggest going back to the definition of electric potential as the work per charge needed to move a charge through an electric field. When moving the charge horizontally from A to B, there is no force in the direction of movement so no work need be done. Like moving horizontally in a gravitational field. So, moving from A to C you could do A to B first with work, energy and potential difference zero. Then add the potential difference for the B to C move that you've already calculated. Hope this makes sense ...

Alternatively, going straight from A to B the electric force is purely vertical so the pd is the work/charge = F*d/q = q*E*d/q where only the vertical component of distance is used because that is the direction of the force. I suppose it should really be written as a dot product F•d.

Related to Determin the Electric Potential Difference

1. What is electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts.

2. How is electric potential difference calculated?

Electric potential difference is calculated by dividing the work done (in joules) to move a unit of charge (in coulombs) between two points in an electric field.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric potential difference?

The unit of measurement for electric potential difference is volts (V).

4. How does electric potential difference affect electric current?

Electric potential difference is directly proportional to electric current. A higher potential difference will result in a higher current, while a lower potential difference will result in a lower current.

5. What are some practical applications of electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference is used in various electronic devices such as batteries, generators, and power supplies. It is also used in household appliances, electric cars, and power lines to transfer electrical energy.