Determ the stationary temp with a PDE

• Thread starter Larsson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the problem is to find the stationary temperature inside a square area with a length a, where the temperature surrounding the area is T_0 except at the top where it is T_0(1+sin(pi*x/a)). To solve this, the temperature u(x,y) is written as a product of X(x) and Y(y), and the heat equation is used to separate the variables. The homogenous boundary conditions lead to a Fourier sin-series solution for u(x,y), where the coefficients can be found using the given temperature conditions.
Larsson
I have a square area with the length a. The temperature surrounding the square is T_0 except at the top where it's T_0(1+sin(pi*x/a)). They ask for the stationary temperature in the area. In other words, how can the temperature u(x,y) inside the area be written when the time = infinity.

The first thing I do is that I realize that u(x,y) can be written u(x,y) = sum(X(x)*Y(y)).
I also think that it should be a nice starting point to create v = u-T_0, that gives me that the surrounding temperature is 0 everywhere except at the top where it's T_0*sin(pi*x/a)

experience tell me that X(x) = sin(k*pi*x/a)

But how do I find Y(y)? can't seem to get it right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the heat equation in 2dimensions, with du/dt=0 because you want the stationary solution. Let u(x,y)=X(x)Y(y) and put it into the p.d.e.
Then you separate variables.

[tex]X''/X=-Y''/Y=-\lambda^2[/tex]

with cos/sin and exponential solutions. The homogenous boundary conditions eliminatate some of the constants.

and you end up with something like

[tex]u(x,y)=\sum_{m=0}^\infty B_m*sinh(m\pi y)*sin(m\pi x)[/tex]

[tex]u(x,a)=\sum_{m=0}^\infty[B_m*sinh(m\pi a)]*sin(m\pi x)[/tex]

where B_m*sinh(mpia) are the coefficients in a Fourier sin-series

Last edited:

Related to Determ the stationary temp with a PDE

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe complex physical phenomena, such as heat transfer and fluid dynamics.

2. How is a PDE used to determine the stationary temperature?

In the context of determining the stationary temperature, a PDE is used to model the heat distribution in a system. By solving the PDE, we can obtain the temperature distribution at a given time, and the stationary temperature is the temperature that remains constant over time.

3. What factors affect the stationary temperature in a PDE?

The factors that affect the stationary temperature in a PDE include the initial temperature distribution, the boundary conditions, and the material properties of the system. These factors determine how heat is transferred and distributed within the system.

4. How is the stationary temperature related to thermal equilibrium?

The stationary temperature is the temperature at which thermal equilibrium is reached in a system. This means that the heat transfer within the system has reached a steady state, and the temperature at each point in the system is constant over time.

5. What methods are used to solve a PDE for determining the stationary temperature?

There are various numerical and analytical methods that can be used to solve a PDE for determining the stationary temperature. These include finite difference methods, finite element methods, and separation of variables. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the PDE and the desired level of accuracy.