Details on electromagnetic waves?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of electromagnetic waves and polarization. The speaker expresses their frustration with not understanding the concept and asks for help in understanding the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, polarization, and reflection by polarization. They mention that their professor is not a good teacher and they are looking for alternative resources to learn from. Suggestions are given for books and websites that may be helpful in understanding the topic better.
elabed haidar
i really want to understand the lesson so bad i read the lesson 10 times and the lesson is like 50 pages and i still don't get the concept of how electromagnetic waves were originated??
and what about polarization? please with all the details you have and thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to have to post some specific questions on what you don't understand. An overview of EM waves is available in many different parts of the internet and a simple google search will show you many.

you are right let me be more accurate :
1) we know that the electromagnetic waves is made of electric field and magnetic fields i just want to know how each of them is dependent of the other?
2) what about polarization ? i know it is when the beam of light is going toward one direstion but what i don't understand how is it related to the electic field
3) reflection by polarization? why is it when we reach brewster angle we get polarization ?
please the more deeper you get the better i don't want to know the concept like our professor does i want to know especially i am doing physics and thank you very much

Drakkith is right, you should try to look up electromagnetism in books for physics students. Does your professor recommend any?
Maybe try:
Electricity and Magnetism - W.J. Duffin
Electromagnetism - IS Grant and WR Phillips
just google some.

In response to the questions
1) The Maxwell equations show explicitly how they depend on each other.
2) A general beam of light going in one direction has components of the electric field going in all directions perpendicular to its motion (is unpolarised). But a polarised beam has its electric field components confined to a particular direction.
3) At the surface between two materials, there are several conditions on the electric and magnetic fields. It is these conditions that cause polarisation of an incident electromagnetic wave at certain angles.

Sorry I haven't answered any of the questions in depth, but they are very broad, try a book on electromagnetism.

thank you but here is the thing , i don't like to judge or criticize anyone but unfortunately our professor doesn't know how to teach , he thinks that studying telecommunication engineering makes him a great professor in P103 , which we are taking right now . I am sorry in conclusion he doesn't know how to teach
thank you Mr bruceW and your right i have to study on my own but i am trying to find the website which will help me understand electromagnetic waves ina an easy but detailed way

thank you very much

Related to Details on electromagnetic waves?

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that is made up of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. They can travel through empty space as well as through various materials, and they are responsible for a wide range of phenomena such as light, radio waves, and X-rays.

2. How are electromagnetic waves created?

Electromagnetic waves are created when charged particles, such as electrons, accelerate. This acceleration causes the particles to emit energy in the form of electromagnetic waves. Examples of processes that can create electromagnetic waves include the movement of electrons in an antenna, or the nuclear reactions that occur in the sun.

3. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic waves. It includes a wide range of wavelengths, from very long radio waves to very short gamma rays. Different types of electromagnetic waves have different properties and uses, such as visible light being used for vision and radio waves being used for communication.

4. How do electromagnetic waves interact with matter?

Electromagnetic waves can interact with matter in several ways. When they encounter a material, they can be reflected, transmitted, or absorbed depending on the properties of the material and the frequency of the wave. For example, visible light is mostly transmitted through glass, but it is mostly absorbed by opaque objects.

5. What are some uses of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have many practical applications in our daily lives. Some common uses include communication through radio waves, heating food through microwaves, and medical imaging through X-rays. Electromagnetic waves are also used in scientific research, such as studying the composition of stars and galaxies through different wavelengths of light.