Designing a compressed air vehicle

In summary, the conversation is about building a compressed air powered vehicle for a school project. The plan is to use a paintball compressed air tank, four nozzles, and a controller board to control the valve opening. The valve will open for a certain amount of time, and the controller will determine the vehicle's location and adjust the valve accordingly. The question is about the exhaust velocity of the air and how to calculate it. The person suggests directly measuring the thrust by fixing the nozzle to a scale. However, it is noted that the given equation for exhaust velocity is not valid for compressible flow and a different set of equations should be used.
aerograce
I am doing a school project, building a compressed air powered vehicle to reach desired destination.
What I am thinking is:
I will use a paintball compressed air tank.
Four nozzles.
And an controller board to control valve opening.
Valve will only open for certain time like (50ms). After each round of opening, controller board will determine its location and compare it with destination. This will give feedback on which valves to be opened in the next round. But well, all those are just some background information.

My question is, for example, my compressed air is charged till 30 bar. And the air will eject to the ambient.
Based on bernoulli equation, I get this for exhaust air velocity from the nozzle:

Pg + 1/2 p Vg^2 = Pa
Pg=30bar
Pa=1bar
and p = air density = 1.225 kg/m^3
So what I get for exhaust velocity is around 3km/s.
OMG is this true??

Schematic diagram is attached as follow.

And if it is not true, how do I get the exhaust velocity of the air? I need them to compute the final thrust of the air thruster.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• schematic.JPG
    schematic.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered getting the thrust more directly, by directly measuring it? Fix your thruster nozzle to a scale, and see what the scale reads?

Nugatory said:
Have you considered getting the thrust more directly, by directly measuring it? Fix your thruster nozzle to a scale, and see what the scale reads?
I'm doing initial design. I need some theoretical validation of my model:)

Your equation is not valid for compressible flow, and going from 30 bar to 1 bar is definitely in the realm of compressibility. Look up "choked flow" for a more realistic set of equations.

Related to Designing a compressed air vehicle

1. What is a compressed air vehicle?

A compressed air vehicle is a type of vehicle that uses compressed air as its primary source of energy, rather than gasoline or diesel fuel. The compressed air is stored in a tank and released to power the engine, creating movement and propulsion.

2. How does a compressed air vehicle work?

A compressed air vehicle works by using a compressed air tank to store energy, which is then released to power the engine. When the compressed air is released, it expands and creates a force that moves the pistons in the engine, which in turn, powers the vehicle.

3. What are the benefits of using a compressed air vehicle?

There are several benefits to using a compressed air vehicle, including lower emissions, as compressed air does not produce any harmful pollutants. It is also a renewable energy source, as the air can be compressed using renewable energy sources. Additionally, compressed air vehicles are quieter and have lower maintenance costs compared to traditional gasoline or diesel vehicles.

4. What are the challenges of designing a compressed air vehicle?

Some of the challenges of designing a compressed air vehicle include finding a way to store enough compressed air to provide sufficient power for the vehicle, as well as developing efficient and lightweight compressed air tanks. Another challenge is designing a system that can effectively convert the energy from the compressed air into movement and propulsion.

5. Are there any compressed air vehicles currently on the market?

Yes, there are currently several compressed air vehicles on the market, although they are not yet widely available. The most well-known example is the compressed air car developed by French company, MDI. However, there are also compressed air bicycles, scooters, and buses being used in various parts of the world.