Design RC Circuit for V vs Time Characteristics

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a RC circuit with the same V vs time characteristics as a RL circuit, using the equations Vc(t)=Vb(1-e^-(t/RC)) and i(t)=(Vb/R)(1-e^-(tR/L)). The time constant for RC is RC and for RL it is L/R. The goal is to have the initial voltage drop across the capacitor be zero, and for the output voltage to decrease exponentially as the voltage drop across the capacitor increases exponentially. To achieve this, the arrangement of the circuit should have the capacitor before the resistor, and the value of C should be equal to L/R^2.
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

Design a RC circuit so it has the same V vs time characteristics
*See attached diagram*

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea how to approach this, but I do know,

RC circuit:

Vc(t)=Vb(1-e^-(t/RC))

RL circuit:
i(t)=(Vb/R)(1-e^-(tR/L))

I have no idea what to do with the current equation... can I use ohm's law? Any help would be great!

Attachments

• Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you sketch the vout versus time curve for the given circuit? (I'm assuming that the input will be some DC voltage applied at time t = 0).

Well I believe that the Vout for the RL would be an exponential decay starting at Vb and decreasing down to zero, whereas the Vout for the RC would be an exponential growth starting at zero and increasing to Vb

That's right. Can you give the time constant for that exponential curve?

I believe for RC it is RC and for RL it is L/R

So assuming that i would want the time constants the same i would set

RC=L/R

So that would give me that when C=L/R^2

Okay! Now comes the tricky bit. You've got your two components, R and C, and you want the output to be a decaying voltage.

The input to the circuit is a step; the switch is closed and the input voltage goes immediately from zero to some value Vin. What is the initial voltage drop across an uncharged capacitor?

I believe that the initial voltage drop across an uncharged capacitor is 0, and as time goes on, it approaches Vin exponentially

That's right. So initially none of the voltage will be dropped by the C, so all of it must be dropped by the R. Further, you want all of that voltage presented at the output of the circuit. So what arrangement of the R and C would have the initial output voltage equal to the initial input voltage?

maybe put the capacitor first then the resistor?

How can you confirm that that would work? What (and why) are the initial and final output voltages for that arrangement?

Well cause then initially the first voltage drop across the capacitor (which would be zero) and then the second voltage drop would come across the resistor (which we would have Vin=Vout). As time goes on, the voltage drop across the capacitor would increase exponentially, so the Vout (voltage drop across the resistor) would therefore have to decrease exponentially cause if we subtract the voltage drop across the capacitor from Vin, it would give us exponential decay.

One more question: Would the value of C really matter? Should it be equal to L/R^2 as I said before?

dancergirlie said:
Well cause then initially the first voltage drop across the capacitor (which would be zero) and then the second voltage drop would come across the resistor (which we would have Vin=Vout). As time goes on, the voltage drop across the capacitor would increase exponentially, so the Vout (voltage drop across the resistor) would therefore have to decrease exponentially cause if we subtract the voltage drop across the capacitor from Vin, it would give us exponential decay.

One more question: Would the value of C really matter? Should it be equal to L/R^2 as I said before?

Excellent.

Yes, if you want to have the same exponential response curves then the time constants of the two circuits should be the same.

Thanks so much! Your hints were extremely helpful :)

I really appreciate it!

Related to Design RC Circuit for V vs Time Characteristics

What is a design RC circuit for V vs Time Characteristics?

A design RC circuit for V vs Time Characteristics is an electronic circuit that is made up of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is used to study the behavior of voltage (V) over time (t) as the capacitor charges and discharges.

What is the purpose of designing an RC circuit for V vs Time Characteristics?

The purpose of designing an RC circuit for V vs Time Characteristics is to understand and analyze the behavior of voltage over time in a circuit. This can provide important information about the characteristics of the circuit and how it will perform under different conditions.

What factors should be considered when designing an RC circuit for V vs Time Characteristics?

There are several factors that should be considered when designing an RC circuit for V vs Time Characteristics. These include the values of the resistor and capacitor, the input voltage, the time constant (RC), and the desired voltage output. It is also important to consider the application of the circuit and any specific requirements or limitations.

How do you calculate the time constant (RC) for an RC circuit?

The time constant (RC) for an RC circuit can be calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads. The resulting value is measured in seconds and represents the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to approximately 63% of the input voltage.

What are some common applications of RC circuits for V vs Time Characteristics?

RC circuits for V vs Time Characteristics have many practical applications in electronic devices. They are commonly used in filters, timing circuits, and oscillators. They can also be used in sensor circuits to measure changes in voltage over time, such as in temperature or pressure sensors.