Design of Steel Bar Column <1sq, 6' Long; 30k psi Stress Limit

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a steel bar as a column with free rotating ends and a stress limit of 30,000 psi. The appropriate design code, such as AISC or CISC, will depend on the expectations of the teacher. It is suggested to research Euler buckling and its corresponding formulae to better understand the subject. However, more information and attempted solutions are needed before specific help can be given on the question.
john2516
a steel bar 1 " sauare 6 ' long is to be used as a column.ends are free to rotate put may not be displaced stress is limited to 30,000 psi.
i believe my teacher expect conform code AISC.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer depends on whether your teacher expects a design conform to codes, for example AISC, CISC, etc. It may be that he covered Euler buckling and simply the theoretical load is required. The context will determine the exact answer.
Meanwhile, it would be advantageous to Google the subject "Euler buckling" and do some research or studies. An article that seems to be quite adequate is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckling
And the Euler buckling load/stress formulae are presented in the article.

john2516 said:
a steel bar 1 " sauare 6 ' long is to be used as a column.ends are free to rotate put may not be displaced stress is limited to 30,000 psi.

You need to show us the relevant equations and your attempt at a solution before we can help you on your question.

Related to Design of Steel Bar Column <1sq, 6' Long; 30k psi Stress Limit

1. How do I determine the appropriate size of steel bar for my column?

The size of the steel bar for a column is determined by considering the load that the column needs to support, the height of the column, and the stress limit of the steel. In this case, the column is 6 feet long and has a stress limit of 30,000 pounds per square inch. Consult structural design codes or consult with a structural engineer to determine the appropriate size of steel bar for your specific column.

2. What is the maximum stress limit for a steel bar column <1sq, 6' long?

In this case, the maximum stress limit is 30,000 pounds per square inch. This means that the steel bar can withstand a maximum of 30,000 pounds of force per square inch before it reaches its breaking point. It is important to stay within this stress limit to ensure the structural integrity and safety of the column.

3. Can I use a different material besides steel for my column?

While steel is a commonly used material for columns due to its strength and durability, there are other materials that can be used. However, it is important to properly consider the load and stress limit when choosing a material for a column to ensure its structural integrity and safety.

4. How do I calculate the stress on a steel bar column?

To calculate the stress on a steel bar column, you will need to know the load that the column needs to support and the cross-sectional area of the steel bar. The stress can then be calculated by dividing the load by the cross-sectional area. For example, if the load is 20,000 pounds and the cross-sectional area is 1 square inch, the stress would be 20,000 pounds per square inch.

5. What is the maximum length of a steel bar column <1sq with a 30k psi stress limit?

The maximum length of a steel bar column with a stress limit of 30,000 pounds per square inch will depend on various factors such as the load and the cross-sectional area of the steel bar. It is best to consult structural design codes or consult with a structural engineer to determine the appropriate length for your specific column.