Design a Container to Survive a 15 Meter Drop

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for help with a project that involves limited materials and various designs but has not been successful so far. The project requires a lightweight parachute and cushion for an egg to be dropped from a 15-meter altitude and fit into a 30 cm cubed box. The available materials include paper clips, rubber bands, string, straws, band aid, tissue papers, aluminium foil, scotch tape, and half sheets of paper. The design must also allow for easy opening and closing for egg inspection.
carlos_isaias
Hey, I know there are already many of this threads, but I checked them all out and none can help me in my project. Well, in my project I have limited amount of materials, and I have already tried out various designs with no success, so any help would be great. Here are the details:

Drop altitude 15 meters.
Materials:
5 paper clips (2 large, 3 small)
2 rubber bands
1 30cm string
4 flexible straws
1 band aid
2 tissue papers (regulation size sheets, no scent)
1 30x30cm aluminium foil
2fts of scoth tape (adhesive purpose only)
2 half sheets of paper

Design specification:

• The design must allow easy opening and closing for egg inspection
  • Before the container is dropped, it must fit into a 30 cm. cubed box

Thanks in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
These are all the same. Build a lightweight parachute, and a lightweight cushion for the egg. The other threads cover the same stuff.

I would like to offer a potential design for a container that could survive a 15 meter drop with the limited materials provided.

Firstly, I would suggest using the 30x30cm aluminum foil as the main material for the container. This will provide a strong and lightweight base for the container.

Next, I would use the 2 tissue papers as padding inside the container to cushion the impact of the drop.

To create a secure closure for the container, I would use the 2 rubber bands and the 30cm string. The rubber bands can be wrapped around the container to hold it closed, and the string can be tied around the rubber bands to ensure they do not come undone during the drop.

To add extra support and stability to the container, I would use the 4 flexible straws. These can be cut to size and attached to the sides of the container with the 2 large paper clips, creating a frame for the container.

To ensure the container can be easily opened and closed for inspection, I would use the 2 half sheets of paper and the 2 small paper clips. The paper can be folded and clipped onto the sides of the container, creating a hinged lid that can be easily opened and closed.

Finally, to meet the size requirements, the container can be folded and secured with the 2fts of Scotch tape, ensuring it can fit into a 30 cm cubed box before the drop.

This design takes into consideration the limited materials provided and aims to provide a strong and secure container that can survive the 15 meter drop. However, further testing and modifications may be needed to ensure the success of the design.

Related to Design a Container to Survive a 15 Meter Drop

1. How should the container be designed to withstand a 15 meter drop?

The container should be designed with strong and durable materials, such as metal or thick plastic, to withstand the impact of a 15 meter drop. It should also have a sturdy and well-secured lid or closure to prevent the contents from spilling out upon impact.

2. What shape is the most effective for a container to survive a 15 meter drop?

A cylindrical shape is often the most effective for a container to survive a 15 meter drop. This shape allows for even distribution of force upon impact, reducing the chances of the container breaking or cracking.

3. Is there a specific weight limit for the container to survive a 15 meter drop?

There is no specific weight limit, but it is important to keep in mind that the heavier the container, the more force it will experience upon impact. Therefore, the materials and design of the container should be able to support the weight of its contents.

4. Can the container have any openings or weak points?

Ideally, the container should not have any openings or weak points that could compromise its ability to survive a 15 meter drop. However, if there are necessary openings or weak points, they should be reinforced or protected to withstand the impact.

5. Are there any additional features that can improve the survival of the container during a 15 meter drop?

Yes, there are additional features that can improve the survival of the container during a 15 meter drop. These include shock-absorbing materials, cushioning inside the container, and structural reinforcements to distribute the force of impact.