Describing Span of Set in P4 Vector Space

In summary: This means that every vector is linearly dependent with at least one other, and it is not linearly independent.
rad0786
Okay, so I am doing this homework question, and its bothering me, so i thought perphaps somebody can help me out.

" Let P4 denote the vector space of all polynomials with degree less than or equal to 4 and real coefficients. Describe percisely as you can the linear span of set {x^2 – x^4, 1 + x^2, 2x^4 – x^2 – 5} "

To break it down in simple english, my prof said that you must subtract each part from each other until you get the span as simple as possible.

Example.. ( x^2 – x^4 ) - ( 1 + x^2 ) = ( -1 + -x^4 )

Now I don't understand WHY do I do that, and how it still keeps it as a Spanning Set? Could somebody please explain that.

So anyway, I did what the prof said, and simplified the spanning set.

I got... P4 = span{ 1 + x^4, 1 + x^2, 6}

Now the second part that I don't understand is, HOW do i explain what this linear span means?

Can somebody please help.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The linear span means the set of all things that you can get by taking sums of (real) multiples. For example, if your basis set is {A,B,C}, then then linear span includes things like:

-0.5A
3B-2C
etc.

Now I think your answer is good, but there is one change I would make. You've listed "6" as an element of the basis, but it would be a bit prettier to use "1" instead. The reason is that anything that is a multiple of 6 is also a multiple of 1.

This all gets back to linear algebra and matrices.

When you're working with complex numbers you might think about all the sums of complex multiples of the basis set.

Carl

Thanks so much Carl, that helps!

Now the part that's still troubling me is HOW do i describe the linear span set?

Would I say "the spanning set is the set of all polynominals with degree less than or equal to 4 etc..."

To be more percise, the part of the question that I'm not getting is " escribe percisely as you can the linear span of set {x^2 – x^4, 1 + x^2, 2x^4 – x^2 – 5} "

Does that mean algebraically or in english?

Thanks

" describe percisely as you can the linear span of set {x^2 – x^4, 1 + x^2, 2x^4 – x^2 – 5} "

That just means to tell, either algebraically or in words what polynomials can be written as a linear combination of those three. Yes, you can "simplify" the set but since the three are independent, they form a basis themselves. From just looking at the set, I see that none of those contain "x" or "x3". Therefore, none of the polynomials in the span can. Since the span is 3 dimensional, you won't get any other limitations. Looks like all polynomials of the form ax4+ bx2+ c. If you want to be really fancy you could say "all even polynomials of degree 4 or less".

I understand eveything you are saying, thanks!

Just one thing, how did you know that it is linearly independent? Could it be linealy dependent?

If you're studying spanning sets, then surely you have seen the definition of linear independence, right? You have to set up a linear combination of the basis vectors, set it equal to zero, and then...?

Yes i have seen it, i was just having difficulites seeing it, but i figured it out!

rad0786 said:
I understand eveything you are saying, thanks!

Just one thing, how did you know that it is linearly independent? Could it be linealy dependent?

I know they are linearly independent because I checked!

A set of vectors are linearly dependent if and only if there exist constants, not all 0, such that a1v1+ ...+ anvn= 0.

Here, that means we need to check if it is possible that
a(x^2 – x^4)+ b(1 + x^2)+ c(2x^4 – x^2 – 5)= 0 (the 0 function: 0 for all x) with not all of a,b,c equal to 0.
One way to check that is by looking at specific values of x. If x= 0 (chosen because it makes x2- x4= 0), that gives b+ c= 0. If x= 1 (also chosen because it makes x2- x4= 0), that gives 2b- 4c= 0. Multiply b+ c= 0 by 2 and subtract from that: (2b-2b)-(4c-2c)= (0-0) or -2c= 0 so c= 0. Since 2b-4c= 0, 2b-0= 0 so b= 0. Now, taking x= 2, a(22- 24)+ 0(1+ 22)+ 0(2(24)- 22-5)= a(4-16)= 0 so a= 0. Since all of a,b, c must be 0, the three vectors are independent.

for linear independence, the linear combination has to = o and also, the scalars all have to eqal zero also... yes, i know what linear independence and dependence is.

now to solve or show that something is linear independent or dependent... gets me sometimes... can somebody check my work and see if i did it properly?

Say for example, this question comes right out of the textbook, " Let f and g be functions on [a,b], and assume that f(a) = 1 = g(b) and f(b) = 0 = g(a). Show that {f,g} is linearly independent"

This is how I did it.

{ f(x), g(x) }

the linear combination is... w( f(x) ) + m( g(x) ) = 0

at X = a

w( f(a) ) + m( g(a) ) = 0
w( 1 ) + m( 0 ) = 0
w( 1) = 0
w = 0

at X = b

w( f(b) ) + m( g(b) ) = 0
w( 0 ) + m( 1 ) = 0
m( 1 ) = 0
m = 0

Therefore, w=m=0 and therefore, it is the set { f, g } is linearly independent

Can somebody please tell me if that sound right?

Related to Describing Span of Set in P4 Vector Space

1. What is a P4 vector space?

A P4 vector space is a mathematical space that consists of all possible linear combinations of four-dimensional vectors. This space is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent four-dimensional quantities such as position, velocity, and force.

2. How do you describe the span of a set in a P4 vector space?

The span of a set in a P4 vector space is the set of all possible vectors that can be created by combining the vectors in the original set using scalar multiplication and vector addition. In other words, it is the collection of all linear combinations of the original vectors.

3. What is the significance of the span of a set in a P4 vector space?

The span of a set in a P4 vector space represents the range of values that can be expressed using the vectors in the set. It also helps to determine the dimension of the vector space, as the number of linearly independent vectors in the set will determine the dimension of the span.

4. How can you determine if a vector belongs to the span of a set in a P4 vector space?

To determine if a vector belongs to the span of a set in a P4 vector space, you can express the vector as a linear combination of the vectors in the set. If this is possible, then the vector is in the span. Otherwise, it is not in the span.

5. Can the span of a set in a P4 vector space be infinite?

Yes, the span of a set in a P4 vector space can be infinite. This can happen if the set contains linearly independent vectors that can be combined in an infinite number of ways to create new vectors. However, the dimension of the span will still be finite, determined by the number of linearly independent vectors in the set.