Describe the angular momentum of the ball and net torque on

In summary, the problem requires determining the angular momentum and net torque of a ball with tension and a magnetic field acting on it. Using the right hand rule and equations for torque and angular momentum, it can be determined that the angular momentum is in the k direction and the net torque is 0 due to the forces cancelling each other out.
heartshapedbox

Homework Statement

1. At the instant illustrated, which best describes the angular momentum of the ball and net torque on the ball, as measured around the origin?

L⃗ is in the kˆ direction, ⃗τ is 0.

Homework Equations

torque= (F)x(r)
Tension in rope= (mv^2/r)+qvb

The Attempt at a Solution

I am at a loss, I do not understand this word problem. Can this please be explained?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 5.04.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 5.04.52 PM.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 466
Physics news on Phys.org
heartshapedbox said:
which best describes the angular momentum of the ball
Is this a multiple choice problem? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by which best describes the angular momentum.

bigguccisosa said:
Is this a multiple choice problem? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by which best describes the angular momentum.
This is the complete problem, I do not know how to do #3. :) Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 6.16.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 6.16.19 PM.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 450
Do the three stars indicate anything in particular (***)?

Anways, what you have is a problem where you must determine what forces are acting on the particle, and how they influence the torque and angular momentum. Recall that [itex] \vec{\tau} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F}[/itex] and [itex] \vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p} [/itex]. The right hand rule will come in handy. There is a rope, so that will apply a force of tension on the particle. There is also a magnetic field, which way will the force point due to that?

bigguccisosa said:
Do the three stars indicate anything in particular (***)?
the correct answer is marked by "***" :)

bigguccisosa said:
Anways, what you have is a problem where you must determine what forces are acting on the particle, and how they influence the torque and angular momentum. Recall that [itex] \vec{\tau} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F}[/itex] and [itex] \vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p} [/itex]. The right hand rule will come in handy. There is a rope, so that will apply a force of tension on the particle. There is also a magnetic field, which way will the force point due to that?
Ok thank you, I believe I understand. Right hand in direction of velocity, curl towards r, L is out of the page, so k direction.
Right hand in direction of velocity, curl towards F (there is the force of B and the centripetal force) they point in opposite directions, so they cancel, making torque zero?

heartshapedbox said:
Ok thank you, I believe I understand. Right hand in direction of velocity, curl towards r, L is out of the page, so k direction.
Yes right hand in direction of velocity (and so linear momentum), curl towards r, so L points in positive k. For torque you should be looking at the direction of the Forces, and crossing them with r. Note that the tension points towards the centre, and the magnetic force points away (F =qv x B). So if you cross them with respect to the r vector, do they contribute to torque? But yes in the end the torque is zero.

Last edited:
Likes heartshapedbox

Related to Describe the angular momentum of the ball and net torque on

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to the ball and net torque?

The angular momentum of a ball is affected by the net torque acting on it. Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate, and the net torque on a ball can cause its angular momentum to change.

3. What factors affect the angular momentum of a ball?

The angular momentum of a ball is affected by its moment of inertia, angular velocity, and any external torques acting on it. The shape and mass distribution of the ball also play a role.

4. How does the direction of the net torque affect the ball's angular momentum?

The direction of the net torque acting on a ball determines the direction of the change in its angular momentum. If the torque is in the same direction as the angular velocity, the angular momentum will increase. If the torque is in the opposite direction, the angular momentum will decrease.

5. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This means that if one object's angular momentum increases, another object's angular momentum must decrease by an equal amount.