Describe and diagram the set determined by the condition

In summary, the solution to the given equation is (-13/4)<x<(-11/4) and x does not equal -3. However, it should be noted that the book may contain errors.
mxc

Homework Statement

0<[itex]\left|x+3\right|[/itex]<1/4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(-13/4)<x<(-11/4) and x[itex]\neq-3[/itex]

Thanks in advance. This is my first post and I am unfamiliar with formatting this kind of stuff so I will work on getting better at that aspect.

Physics news on Phys.org
mxc said:

Homework Statement

0<[itex]\left|x+3\right|[/itex]<1/4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(-13/4)<x<(-11/4) and x[itex]\neq-3[/itex]

Thanks in advance. This is my first post and I am unfamiliar with formatting this kind of stuff so I will work on getting better at that aspect.

That looks OK. What's your question?

The book says the solution is (-13/4)<x<(-11/4).

It should be noted that this particular book is notorious for being rife with errors, but I always want to make sure that I am not wrong. Thank you LCKurtz.

Related to Describe and diagram the set determined by the condition

1. What does it mean to "describe" a set?

Describing a set means to explain or provide details about the set, such as its elements, properties, and relationships to other sets.

2. How do you diagram a set?

To diagram a set, you can use a Venn diagram, which consists of overlapping circles that represent sets and their relationships. Another option is to use a set builder notation, which is a mathematical notation that describes the elements of a set.

3. Can you give an example of a set determined by a condition?

Yes, an example of a set determined by a condition is the set of even numbers less than 10. This set can be written as {2, 4, 6, 8} or using set builder notation as {x | x is an even number and x < 10}.

4. How do you determine the elements of a set based on a condition?

To determine the elements of a set based on a condition, you can use set builder notation as mentioned before. You would specify the condition or rule that the elements must meet in order to be included in the set.

5. What is the importance of describing and diagramming sets in mathematics?

Describing and diagramming sets is important in mathematics because it allows us to visualize and understand the relationships between sets, which is crucial in solving problems and proving mathematical concepts. It also helps to organize and classify information in a clear and concise manner.