Deriving the Magnetic Field from a Magnetic Dipole

ManessIn summary, the conversation discusses finding the expression for magnetic field B in terms of electric dipole moment m and distance r. The attempt at a solution involves using the determinate and the "BAC CAB" method, but it is discovered that the product rule for derivatives does not hold in this case. The conversation ends with a request for help from experts in electromagnetism and vector calculus.
kq6up

Homework Statement

Show that: ##B=\frac { 1 }{ 4\pi \epsilon r^{ 3 } } \left[ 3\hat { r } \left( \hat { r } \cdot \vec { m } \right) -\vec { m } \right] ##

Homework Equations

B=delxA, m=a*I

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I follow my professors derivation. However, she expands the term: ##\vec { \nabla } \times \left( \vec { m } \times \vec { r } \right) =2 \vec m## by just using the determinate. I figured I would go with the less messy "BAC CAB" like she uses on another term. However, I can't get ##2 \vec m## by using BAC CAB. I get ##3 \vec m## instead. I have tried both ways using spherical and cartesian. Does not ##\nabla \cdot \vec m=0##? If I can show that ##\vec { r } \left(\vec \nabla \cdot \vec m \right)=-\vec m##. I would be home free, but I think it should equal zero.

Any E&M or vector calc. gurus, your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Physics news on Phys.org
Dang, ok. That was a pretty basic oversight. Thanks

Chris

Related to Deriving the Magnetic Field from a Magnetic Dipole

1. How is a magnetic field created by a magnetic dipole?

A magnetic dipole is created when there is an imbalance of positive and negative charges within a magnet. This creates an internal electric current, which in turn generates a magnetic field around the magnet.

2. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field produced by a magnetic dipole?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by a magnetic dipole is affected by the distance from the magnet, the orientation of the magnet, and the strength of the magnetic material itself.

3. How is the direction of the magnetic field determined from a magnetic dipole?

The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule, where the fingers of the right hand curl in the direction of the current flow and the thumb points in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. Can a magnetic dipole be used to create a uniform magnetic field?

No, a magnetic dipole cannot create a uniform magnetic field. The magnetic field produced by a dipole is strongest near the poles and weaker as you move away from the poles.

5. How is the magnetic field strength calculated from a magnetic dipole?

The magnetic field strength can be calculated using the formula B = μ0m/4πr^3, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, m is the magnetic dipole moment, and r is the distance from the magnet.