Deriving the heat equation in cylindrical coordinates

In summary: A more complicated but perhaps more elegant approach is to use the so-called Euler-Lagrange equation, which can be derived in a variety of ways.Faster MethodsThere are faster methods, but this is the one that requires the least sophisticated mathematics (as far as I know).
nettle404

Homework Statement

Consider heat flow in a long circular cylinder where the temperature depends only on [itex]t[/itex] and on the distance [itex]r[/itex] to the axis of the cylinder. Here [itex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex] is the cylindrical coordinate. From the three-dimensional heat equation derive the equation [itex]U_t=k(U_{rr}+2U_r/r)[/itex].

Homework Equations

The standard heat equation is

[tex]c\rho\frac{\partial}{\partial t}U(x,y,z,t)=\kappa\nabla^2U(x,y,z,t)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempted to work backwards from [itex]U_t=k(U_{rr}+U_r/r)[/itex] with the chain rule, but that did not produce anything of value. I can also probably solve the problem by deriving the heat equation starting in cylindrical coordinates, but the question asks to specifically "transplant" cylindrical coordinates onto the Cartesian coordinate heat equation by some tricky variable substitution algebra I can't imagine performing. That is: Where should I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could start with, e.g., ## \frac{\partial U}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial U}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial U}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial U}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} ## (the last term vanishes, why?). Once you have ## \frac{\partial U}{\partial x} ## in terms of ## r, \theta,## and ##z##, you can get ## \frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left( \frac{\partial U}{\partial x} \right) \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial x} \right)\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} ##. You can assemble ##\nabla^2## going on this way. There are faster methods, but this is the one that requires the least sophisticated mathematics (as far as I know).

Geofleur said:
You could start with, e.g., ## \frac{\partial U}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial U}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial U}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial U}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} ## (the last term vanishes, why?). Once you have ## \frac{\partial U}{\partial x} ## in terms of ## r, \theta,## and ##z##, you can get ## \frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left( \frac{\partial U}{\partial x} \right) \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial x} \right)\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} ##. You can assemble ##\nabla^2## going on this way. There are faster methods, but this is the one that requires the least sophisticated mathematics (as far as I know).

The last term vanishes because $z$ is unaffected by $x$? I'm not entirely convinced that's necessarily the case, but it's a bit late where I am and I need some sleep. I'll return to the problem tomorrow and try to solve it: I think your hint has more or less cleared the issue for me.

Out of curiosity, what are these faster methods you're speaking of?

Indeed, ## z ## and ## x ## are independent of one another. The other methods:

(1) The expressions for ##\nabla ##, ## \nabla^2 ##, ## \nabla \cdot ##, and ## \nabla \times ## can all be derived in curvilinear coordinates by using the divergence and Stokes' theorems. See, e.g., Fujita and Godoy, Mathematical Physics, pg. 73.

(2) Using tensor calculus and the covariant derivative, one can derive general expressions for these operators in terms of the metric tensor ##g##. ##\nabla^2##, for example, turns out to be:

## \nabla^2\Psi = \frac{1}{|g|^{1/2}}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\left[ |g|^{1/2}g^{ik}\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x^k} \right] ##.

Above, when an index appears once raised and once lowered, it is to be summed over (known as the Einstein summation convention).

Related to Deriving the heat equation in cylindrical coordinates

1. What is the heat equation in cylindrical coordinates?

The heat equation in cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical representation of the diffusion of heat in a cylindrical system. It describes how the temperature of a cylindrical object changes over time due to heat transfer.

2. How is the heat equation derived in cylindrical coordinates?

The heat equation in cylindrical coordinates is derived from the general heat equation, which takes into account the change in temperature over time, the thermal conductivity of the material, and the sources or sinks of heat. To derive the heat equation in cylindrical coordinates, the general heat equation is modified to account for the cylindrical geometry and boundary conditions.

3. What are the assumptions made in deriving the heat equation in cylindrical coordinates?

The main assumptions made in deriving the heat equation in cylindrical coordinates are that the system is in steady state, the material is homogeneous and isotropic, and there are no internal heat sources or sinks. These assumptions simplify the mathematical equations and allow for an accurate representation of heat transfer in a cylindrical system.

4. What are the applications of the heat equation in cylindrical coordinates?

The heat equation in cylindrical coordinates has many practical applications, such as in the design and analysis of heat exchangers, boilers, and other cylindrical devices. It is also used in fields such as thermal engineering, materials science, and geophysics to model heat transfer in cylindrical systems.

5. How is the heat equation in cylindrical coordinates solved?

The heat equation in cylindrical coordinates is typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods involve discretizing the cylindrical system into small elements and solving the heat equation at each element. Analytical solutions are also possible for simple cylindrical geometries and boundary conditions.