Deriving the Critical Angle Equation for a 45, 45, 90 Triangle in Physics Lab

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an equation for a 45, 45, 90 degree triangle in a physics lab. The equation involves finding the angle of refraction for a beam of light hitting a surface at the critical angle. The equation is √(2)*Sin (σ)+1=√(n^2-1) and the material is in air with a refractive index of n1=1. The conversation also discusses using Snell's Law and the 45 degree angle in the triangle to relate sigma_2 to the critical angle. However, there is difficulty in building a relationship between sigma_2 and the critical angle, resulting in the need for further clarification.
Romperstomper
In my physics lab, we have to derive an equation. The equation is for a 45, 45, 90 degree triangle. An beam of light hits the surface, then refracts. The refracted beam hits the second surface at the critical angle and refracts along the surface. Here's a crude pic of what I'm talking about.
http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/615/pic13kt.jpg

The equation is: √(2)*Sin (σ)+1=√(n^2-1)

The material is in air, so n1=1 and n2=n. So, Sin (σ1)=nSin(σ2). I moved around the upper equations and got Sin(σ)=[√(n^2-1)-1]/√(2)=nSin(σ2). This is where I'm having trouble. I'm not sure where to go from here. I know it has to do with Sin/Cos/Tan bits of the triangles that are made, but I can't figure it out. Any help will be appretiated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
did you write snell's law for the ray as it exits?
Since this is supposed to be at the critical angle,
n sin(theta_glass,exit) = "1" .
Now use the 45 degree angle in the triangle
to relate theta_glass,exit to sigma_2 .

The goal is to write sigma_2 in terms of the "1".

Thank you for the help. Can you elaborate on relating critical angle back to sigma_2? I'm having trouble doing it. The triangle that I come up with has the angles sigma_2, the critical angle, and 135. When I try to build a relationship between sigma_2 and the critical angle, I don't get anything close to what the equation is. Basically, I took sigma_2 = (180-135)-critical_angle. Am I using the wrong triangle, or is there another way of doing it?

Related to Deriving the Critical Angle Equation for a 45, 45, 90 Triangle in Physics Lab

What is the purpose of deriving the Critical Angle Equation for a 45, 45, 90 Triangle in Physics Lab?

The purpose of deriving this equation is to understand the relationship between the angles of a 45, 45, 90 triangle and the critical angle at which light will undergo total internal reflection.

How is the Critical Angle Equation derived for a 45, 45, 90 Triangle?

The equation is derived using the principles of trigonometry and Snell's law, which relates the angles of incidence and refraction to the refractive indices of the materials involved.

What factors affect the critical angle in a 45, 45, 90 triangle?

The critical angle is affected by the refractive indices of the materials involved, as well as the angle of incidence of the light. It is also influenced by the wavelength of the light and the surface roughness of the materials.

Why is it important to understand the Critical Angle Equation in physics?

Understanding this equation is crucial in many areas of physics, especially optics and engineering. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of light as it passes through different materials, which is essential in the development of various technologies.

Can the Critical Angle Equation be applied to other types of triangles?

Yes, the Critical Angle Equation can be applied to any type of triangle, as long as the angles and refractive indices are known. However, the 45, 45, 90 triangle is commonly used in physics labs due to its symmetry and simplicity.