Deriving Relations from tanA=y/x

In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive the relations for sinA and cosA from the given equation tanA=y/x, with the variable a being equal to either +1 or -1. The participants suggest using the trigonometric identities sin^2(A)+cos^2(A)=1 and tan(A)=sin(A)/cos(A) to solve for the missing values. One person suggests drawing a right triangle to visualize the problem, while another suggests substituting the values of sin(A) and cos(A) into the original equation. Ultimately, the conversation emphasizes the importance of showing all steps and being careful with calculations when solving trigonometric problems.
miccol999
Given tanA=y/x.....(1)

Can anyone tell me how you get the following relations:

=>sinA=ay/sqrt(x^2+y^2).....(2)
=>cosA=ax/sqrt(x^2+y^2)....(3)

where a=(+/-)1

I know tanA=sinA/cosA and sin^2(A)+cos^2(A)=1...and I can see by substituting (2) and (3) into (1) it works, but I really can't work out how to come up with them! I know I'm probably overlooking something quite obvious but its late+I'm not trusting my own judgement atm!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the right approach. Can you show all of your steps so we can pick out where you're going wrong?

tan(A)=sin(A)/cos(A)=y/x. So y*cos(A)=x*sin(A). Now put in sin(A)=+/-sqrt(1-cos(A)^2) and solve for cos(A) by squaring both sides. Ditto for sin(A).

Last edited:
Given Tan(A)= x/y, the first thing I would do is draw a right triangle having angle A, "opposite side" of length x, "near side" of length y, and then calculate the length of the hypotenuse. Once you have done that, the other trig functions fall into place.

Related to Deriving Relations from tanA=y/x

1. What is the definition of "tanA=y/x"?

The equation tanA=y/x is known as the tangent function, which is a trigonometric ratio used to calculate the ratio of the length of the side opposite to an angle to the length of the adjacent side in a right triangle.

2. How do you derive relations from tanA=y/x?

To derive relations from tanA=y/x, you can use the inverse tangent function (arctan) to find the value of angle A. Then, you can use this angle to calculate the values of other trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and cotangent.

3. What are the applications of "tanA=y/x" in real life?

The tangent function is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation to calculate angles and distances. It is also used in computer graphics to create 3D models and animations.

4. Can "tanA=y/x" be used for non-right triangles?

No, the tangent function is only applicable for right triangles. For non-right triangles, you can use the law of tangents or the law of sines to calculate the angles and sides.

5. Is "tanA=y/x" the same as "sinA=y/x"?

No, the tangent function (tanA) and the sine function (sinA) are different trigonometric functions. While both use the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side, they have different definitions and properties.