Deriving properties of the Gamma Function

In summary, the Gamma Function can be represented by G(z) = Integral from 0 to infinity of exp(-u)*u^(z-1)du. Two properties of the Gamma Function are Euler's reflection formula (G(z)*G(1-z) = pi*cosech(pi*z)) and the Duplication formula ((2^(2z-1))*G(z)*G(z+(1/2)) = G(2z)*G(z/2)). These can be proven by researching online or consulting a complex analysis book.
millwallcrazy
I was just curious as to how I can show the following properties of the Gamma Function, they came up in some lecture notes but were just stated?

Notation: G(z) = Gamma function
2^(z) = 2 to the power of z
I = Integral from 0 to infinity

(1) G(z)*G(1-z) = pi*cosech(pi*z)
(2) (2^(2z-1))*G(z)*G(z+(1/2)) = G(2z)*G(z/2)

Taking into consideration that the definition of G(z) = I(exp(-u)*u^(z-1)du)

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The first is called Euler's reflection formula, the second is called the Duplication formula. You could try Google-ing those terms for a proof, or flick through a complex analysis book in your library.

Related to Deriving properties of the Gamma Function

What is the Gamma Function?

The Gamma Function is a mathematical function that is used to extend the concept of factorial to real and complex numbers. It is denoted by the Greek letter gamma (Γ) and has applications in areas such as statistics, physics, and engineering.

How is the Gamma Function derived?

The Gamma Function is derived by integrating the function e^(-x) * x^(s-1) from 0 to infinity, where s is a complex number. This integral is evaluated using techniques such as integration by parts and the substitution method to arrive at the final expression for the Gamma Function.

What are the properties of the Gamma Function?

Some of the key properties of the Gamma Function include its relation to the factorial function, its recurrence relation, and its connection to the Beta Function. It also has a number of special values, such as 1 for any positive integer, and 1/2 for 1/2.

How is the Gamma Function used in mathematics?

The Gamma Function has many important applications in mathematics, such as in the evaluation of complex integrals, probability distributions, and special functions like the Beta Function and the zeta function. It is also used in areas such as number theory, combinatorics, and calculus.

What are some real-world applications of the Gamma Function?

The Gamma Function has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as physics, finance, and engineering. It is used to model radioactive decay, calculate risk in financial markets, and solve differential equations in engineering. It also has applications in areas such as signal processing, image processing, and cryptography.