Deriving power from the relativistic energy equation

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the equation for power in terms of energy and velocity from the given energy equation. The solution involves using the fact that momentum squared is equivalent to momentum multiplied by itself and applying it to simplify the equation for power.
Xamien

Homework Statement

I recently finished a test that asks you to derive
[itex]Power = \frac{dE}{dt} = F \times v[/itex]
from the energy equation:
[itex]E^2 = E_{0}^2 + (pc)^2[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]Power = \frac{dE}{dt} = F \times v[/itex]
[itex]E^2 = E_{0}^2 + (pc)^2[/itex]
[itex]p = \gamma m v[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got there in kind of a messy way but I would like to know how I could have more cleanly shown how to put it together. Here's the way I got to it:
[itex]2E \frac{dE}{dt} = 0 + 2pc \frac{dp}{dt}[/itex]
[itex]2(\gamma mc^2) \frac{dE}{dt} = 0 + 2 \gamma mvc \frac{dp}{dt}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dp}{dt} = F \stackrel{and\rightarrow}{} \frac{dx}{dt} = v [/itex]
therefore [itex]\frac{dE}{dt} = P = Fv[/itex]

Of course, I also realize I may have bungled this, so corrections or at least references to the rules would also be much appreciated. Please, weigh in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is a little confusing because both the force F and the velocity v are vectors, so using the symbol [itex]\times[/itex] looks like you're taking the cross product of the two. What you want to show is[tex]\frac{dE}{dt} = \vec{F}\cdot\vec{v}[/tex]Use the fact that [itex]\vec{p}^2 = \vec{p}\cdot\vec{p}[/itex] and just basically do what you did, and you'll get that result.

Sorry about the notation confusion. Still getting used to using LateX.

The lightbulb came on with that comparison with the momentum squared. Thank you very much!

Related to Deriving power from the relativistic energy equation

What is the relativistic energy equation and how is it used to derive power?

The relativistic energy equation, also known as the mass-energy equivalence equation, is E=mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This equation is used to calculate the amount of energy that can be generated from a given mass, or vice versa. In the context of deriving power, this equation is used to determine the amount of energy that can be produced by a given mass, such as in a nuclear reactor or a particle accelerator.

How does the relativistic energy equation differ from the classical energy equation?

The classical energy equation, E=1/2mv^2, is based on Newton's laws of motion and is used to calculate the kinetic energy of an object. The relativistic energy equation, on the other hand, takes into account the effects of special relativity and can be used to calculate the total energy (including both kinetic and rest energy) of an object. It also shows that mass and energy are interchangeable, which is not accounted for in the classical equation.

What is the significance of the speed of light in the relativistic energy equation?

The speed of light, c, is a fundamental constant in the universe and plays a crucial role in the relativistic energy equation. This equation shows that a small amount of mass can produce a very large amount of energy, as long as it is accelerated to a significant fraction of the speed of light. This relationship is the basis for many technological advancements, such as nuclear power and particle accelerators.

Can the relativistic energy equation be used in all situations?

No, the relativistic energy equation is only applicable in situations where the speed of an object is a significant fraction of the speed of light. In everyday scenarios, the classical energy equation is sufficient. Additionally, the relativistic energy equation is only valid for objects with mass, so it cannot be used for photons (particles of light) which have no rest mass.

How has the understanding of the relativistic energy equation impacted science and technology?

The understanding of the relativistic energy equation has had a significant impact on science and technology. It has led to the development of nuclear power, which provides a significant portion of the world's electricity. It has also allowed for the creation of particle accelerators, which are used to study the fundamental building blocks of matter. Additionally, the equation has played a crucial role in the development of theories such as the Big Bang theory and the concept of black holes.