Deriving Biot Savart's law from Ampere's law

In summary, the author of the website says that Ampere's law can be extrapolated to give Biot Savart's law, but they are not connected. The proof they found is incorrect, and you have to be more specific about what you are looking for.
McLaren Rulez
Can anyone help me with this? My textbook (Young and Freedman's University Physics) says that Ampere's law can be extrapolated to give Biot Savart's law but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a proof I found because i am too lazy to deal with maths.
Anyway, it is pritty clear they are connected since both deal with the relation beteen I and B

http://www.abbasem.net/articles/axiomatic.pdf

Thumbs up and good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not looked at that paper in detail, but it does not claim to derive B-S from Ampere.
What I have read on that website is all wrong. I showed the mistake to the author of the website, but he did not send me the $5,000.

You have to be more specific, "Ampere's law" can refer to two different laws,
"Biot=Savart's law" can be in differential or integral form.

I think you can derive the Biot-Savart Law in the form

[tex]\textbf{B}(\textbf{x})=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int\frac{\textbf{J}(\textbf{x}')\times (\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}')}{|\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}'|^3}d^3x'[/tex]

From Ampere's law (for magnetostatics) in the form [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}\times\textbf{B}=\mu_0\textbf{J}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}\cdot\textbf{B}=0[/itex], along with the boundary condition that the field goes to zero at infinity (falls of sufficiently quickly far from the source currents). If that's what you are interested in, I'd start by taking the curl of both sides of Ampere's Law, and then solve the resulting vector form of Poisson's equation for each Cartesian component of [itex]\textbf{B}[/itex] via Fourier Transform methods.

Okay I know Ampere's law and Biot Savart's law in their most basic forms so I don't understand the explanation in the previous post. I'm a college freshman so I only know the integral form of Ampere's law also. So how can I derive Biot Savart's law from Ampere's law.

Related to Deriving Biot Savart's law from Ampere's law

1. What is Biot Savart's law and Ampere's law?

Biot Savart's law and Ampere's law are two fundamental laws in electromagnetism. Biot Savart's law describes the magnetic field produced by a steady electric current, while Ampere's law relates the magnetic field to the current that produces it.

2. How are Biot Savart's law and Ampere's law related?

Biot Savart's law can be derived from Ampere's law by considering a small section of a current-carrying wire and applying the principles of vector calculus. This allows us to find the magnetic field at a point due to a current-carrying wire, which is described by Biot Savart's law.

3. What is the significance of deriving Biot Savart's law from Ampere's law?

Deriving Biot Savart's law from Ampere's law allows us to understand the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields in a more fundamental way. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of magnetic fields in more complex systems.

4. What are the limitations of using Biot Savart's law and Ampere's law?

Biot Savart's law and Ampere's law are only valid for steady currents. In the case of changing currents, we need to use more advanced equations, such as Maxwell's equations, to accurately describe the magnetic field.

5. How are Biot Savart's law and Ampere's law used in practical applications?

Biot Savart's law and Ampere's law are used extensively in the design and analysis of electronic devices, such as motors and generators. They are also important in the study of electromagnetism and its applications in fields such as medicine and communications.