Deriving an Infinite Series: P_e = 5/3

In summary, the infinite series P_e = \sum_{-\infty}^\infty (1/2)^{2|n|} can be derived by recognizing the symmetry around 0 and using a second summation equal to 4/3. The closed form of this series can be found by using the general formula \sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n, where x is equal to 1/4 in this case. The final result is 5/3.
wildman

Homework Statement

I am wondering if someone could give me some insight on how the following infinite series was derived:

[tex] P_e = \sum_{-\infty}^\infty (1/2)^{2|n|} = -1 + 2 \sum_{n=0}^\infty (1/2)^{2n} = 5/3 [/tex]

Homework Equations

See above

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the -1 comes when n = 0 and the 2 before the sum is because the absolute value of n makes the result symetrical around 0. That is why one can make the sum from 0 to infinity and multiply by 2. Right??
The second sumation must be equal to 4/3. Right? I guess my real question then is how do you find the closed form of this infinite series?

Physics news on Phys.org
wildman said:
I think the -1 comes when n = 0 and the 2 before the sum is because the absolute value of n makes the result symetrical around 0. That is why one can make the sum from 0 to infinity and multiply by 2. Right??
Right!

wildman said:
The second sumation must be equal to 4/3. Right?
Right!

wildman said:
I guess my real question then is how do you find the closed form of this infinite series?

Can you do this one?

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n[/tex]

Actually, the "-1" comes from the fact that when n= 0, [itex](1/2)^{2|n|}[/itex] is equal to 1. Since you are multiplying the sum, from 0 to infinity, by 2, you are getting that twice and need to subract off one.

Can you do this one?
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n[/tex]

Yes, that is equal to 1/(1- 1/2) or 2

It is if x=1/2. What is it for general x? Then, what value of x applies to your problem? (Hint: it's not 1/2.)

general x is x^2 and my x is 1/4 so 1/(1-1/4) is 4/3. All right! Thanks!

Related to Deriving an Infinite Series: P_e = 5/3

What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is represented as a sequence of numbers, where each term is added to the previous one.

How is an infinite series derived?

An infinite series can be derived by finding a pattern in the sequence of numbers and using mathematical methods, such as substitution and integration, to determine the sum of the series.

What does P_e = 5/3 represent in the context of an infinite series?

P_e = 5/3 is a specific representation of an infinite series. It represents the sum of all terms in the series, where each term is multiplied by a constant value of 5/3.

What is the significance of P_e = 5/3 in scientific research?

In scientific research, P_e = 5/3 is often used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as electrical circuits and fluid flow. It is also used to approximate and solve complex mathematical equations.

Are there any limitations to using P_e = 5/3 in an infinite series?

While P_e = 5/3 can be useful in certain situations, it is not always the most accurate or efficient method for deriving an infinite series. Other techniques, such as the Riemann zeta function, may be more appropriate for certain applications.