Deriving a kinematic equation.

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the equation (v_f)^2 = (v_i)^2 + 2ad using kinematic equations and principles. One person struggles with taking the derivative of the equation, but is reminded to solve for t in the equation vf = v0 + at and substitute it into the d equation to get the desired result. The person thanks the other for the help and mentions their background in math and physics.
Lego

Homework Statement

Derive (v_f)^2 = (v_i)^2 +2ad

Homework Equations

(v_f)^2 = (v_i)^2 + 2ad
(v_f) = (v_i) + at
d = (v_i)t + \frac{1}{2}at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to replace the variables with others from other kinematic equations such as v_f = v_i + at. However, I am getting no where. I have also taken the derivative of the equation (or so I think) but if I have not done it correctly, then I am just going no where.

When taking the derivative of the equation (v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2ad) I remembered dv/dt = a , a in this equation is constant, and dd/dt = v, thus I got 2a=2a+2v and once simplified brings me to 0=v? I feel I am deriving the equation incorrectly.

Now, after having exhausted my thoughts, I've come asking for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you supposed to derive the equation from first principles? What i mean is are you allowed to use:

[tex]d = (v_i)t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

Yes. I can use any type of equation. And any principles. I'm just at a loss as to how to get started. I should be fine with a little nudge in the right direction.

Lego said:
Yes. I can use any type of equation. And any principles. I'm just at a loss as to how to get started. I should be fine with a little nudge in the right direction.

You can solve for t, in the equation vf = v0 + at... then substitute t into the d equation posted, that will give you the result.

learningphysics said:
You can solve for t, in the equation vf = v0 + at... then substitute t into the d equation posted, that will give you the result.

Thank you. I've got it now. I had returned to using the other equations, but the word "derive" kept making my brain do derivatives. I guess that's what I get for being a math minor and taking as few physics classes as possible.

Thank you, again.

Lego said:
Thank you. I've got it now. I had returned to using the other equations, but the word "derive" kept making my brain do derivatives. I guess that's what I get for being a math minor and taking as few physics classes as possible.

Thank you, again.

no prob.

Related to Deriving a kinematic equation.

1. What is a kinematic equation and what does it represent?

A kinematic equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the motion of an object and the variables that affect it, such as time, displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It represents the physical laws and principles that govern the motion of objects in a given system.

2. How do you derive a kinematic equation?

To derive a kinematic equation, you must start with a set of known variables and use the appropriate equations of motion to solve for the unknown variable. This involves using principles such as the equations of motion, conservation of energy, and Newton's laws of motion.

3. What are some common kinematic equations used in physics?

Some common kinematic equations used in physics include the equations of motion (displacement, velocity, and acceleration), the equation for uniform circular motion, and the kinematic equations for projectile motion. These equations can be used to solve for various unknowns in a given system.

4. What are the key assumptions made in deriving kinematic equations?

The key assumptions made in deriving kinematic equations include the assumption that the object is moving in a straight line or a circular path, that the object's acceleration is constant or can be approximated as such, and that external forces acting on the object are negligible.

5. How are kinematic equations used in real-world applications?

Kinematic equations are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as predicting the motion of objects in sports, designing roller coasters, and analyzing the flight of projectiles. They are also used in engineering, robotics, and other fields that involve the study of motion and mechanics.