Derive spherical mirror formula using Fermat's principle

In summary, the spherical mirror formula in paraxial approximation can be derived using Fermat's principle, which states that light travels along the path that takes the least time. This formula is expressed as 1/so + 1/si = -2/R, where so and si are the object and image distances, and R is the radius of curvature of the spherical mirror. This can be solved using geometry and trigonometry.
Bhumble

Homework Statement

Using Fermat’s principle, derive the spherical mirror formula in paraxial approximation:
[tex]\frac{1}{s_o} + \frac{1}{s_i} = \frac{-2}{R}[/tex]
where so and si are object and image distances, R is the radius of curvature of the sphere.

Homework Equations

As far as I know you are just suppose to use geometry and possibly some trig.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a sketch with a concave mirror. I have the theta = 0 angle traveling a distance A. I'm unsure what to equate the other path that reflects off of a curved portion of the mirror.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind. I found an example in the book and I'm pretty sure I have it now.

Related to Derive spherical mirror formula using Fermat's principle

1. What is Fermat's principle?

Fermat's principle is a fundamental concept in optics that states that light will travel from one point to another in the shortest amount of time possible.

2. How is Fermat's principle related to spherical mirrors?

Fermat's principle can be used to derive the formula for spherical mirrors by considering the path that light takes as it reflects off of the mirror and travels to a specific point.

3. What is the formula for a spherical mirror according to Fermat's principle?

The formula for a spherical mirror derived from Fermat's principle is: 1/f = 1/u + 1/v, where f is the focal length, u is the object distance, and v is the image distance.

4. How is this formula used in practical applications?

This formula is used to determine the position and size of an image formed by a spherical mirror, which is important in designing and understanding optical systems such as telescopes, cameras, and microscopes.

5. Are there any limitations to using this formula?

While the formula derived from Fermat's principle is accurate for thin spherical mirrors and small angles of incidence, it may not hold true for thick or curved mirrors and larger angles of incidence.