Derive Gibbs function for dry air .

In summary, we are looking to derive the Gibbs function g(T,P) for dry air and use it to plot the speed of sound (c) as a function of temperature and pressure. The equations involved include c = gp*squareroot(gTT/(g^2TP - gTT*gpp), g = I - T*entropy + P*specific volume, and partial derivatives with respect to p, T, etc. There are also tables of entropies and enthalpies for dry air that can be used.
mj478

Homework Statement

1. Derive the Gibbs function g(T,P) for dry air. T = temp, P = pressure
2. Derive the speed of sound (c) from the Gibbs function. Plot c as a function of temp and pressure.

Homework Equations

c = gp*squareroot(gTT/(g^2TP - gTT*gpp)

I wasn't sure how to type it in but gp,gTT, etc. are partial derivatives with repect to p,TT, etc.

g = I - T*entropy +P*specific volume

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble getting g in terms of just P and T. I kind of did it, but I'm not sure exactly where I should end up.

Also I am not getting anything for c that makes sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
If someone gave me T and P I would go to a table of entropies and enthalpies for dry air and compute g(T,p) = h(T,p) - Ts(T,p). Nice that h and s are state functions!

There are several formulas to derive entropies and enthalpies if you assume an ideal gas.

Related to Derive Gibbs function for dry air .

What is Gibbs function for dry air?

The Gibbs function for dry air is a thermodynamic quantity that describes the total energy of a system at a constant pressure and temperature. It takes into account both the internal energy and entropy of the system.

What is the equation for Gibbs function for dry air?

The equation for Gibbs function for dry air is given by G = H - TS, where G is the Gibbs function, H is the enthalpy, T is the temperature, and S is the entropy.

How is Gibbs function related to the first and second laws of thermodynamics?

The Gibbs function can be derived from the first and second laws of thermodynamics. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, while the second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The Gibbs function takes into account both of these laws to describe the energy of a system.

What are the units of Gibbs function for dry air?

The units of Gibbs function for dry air are typically joules per mole (J/mol) or kilojoules per kilogram (kJ/kg).

How is Gibbs function used in atmospheric science?

Gibbs function is used in atmospheric science to calculate the available energy in the atmosphere, which can help predict weather patterns and understand the behavior of gases in the Earth's atmosphere. It is also used in thermodynamic models to study the thermodynamic properties of dry air.