Derive an expression for the rate of interactions in a fixed target experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an expression for the rate of interactions in a fixed target experiment using the beam current, target density, target thickness, and interaction cross-section. The assumption is made that the beam particles are highly relativistic and the target is thin. The resulting expression is then used to calculate the interaction rate for a specific scenario. The conversation also raises a question about which formula to use for the differential cross-section.
blueyellow

Homework Statement

Derive an expression for the rate of interactions in a fixed target experiment, for which the beam of incoming protons has a current I, the target density is ρ(g/cm[itex]^{3}[/itex]), the target thickness is d and the interaction cross-section is σ. You assume that the beam particles are highly relativistic (i.e. v≈c) and that the target is thin (i.e. there is negligible attenuation of the beam in the target itself. You may need to use other physical constants in you expression.

Use your expression to calculate the interaction rate for a 1mA beam of high-energy protons on a 1mm thick liquid Hydrogen target.

The Attempt at a Solution

density=mass/volume
=[itex]\frac{m_{p}\times number-of-protons-per-second-per-solid-angle\times t\times Ω}{\sigma\times d}[/itex]
number of electrons per second per solid angle=[itex]\frac{density\times σ\times d}{m_{p}\times t\times Ω}[/itex]

=[itex]\frac{dσ}{dΩ}[/itex][itex]\frac{density\times d}{m_{p}\times t}[/itex]
=[itex]\frac{dσ}{dΩ}[/itex][itex]\frac{density\times d\times I}{m_{p}\times Q}[/itex]

number of protons per second=[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{dσ}{dΩ}[/itex][itex]\frac{density\times d\times I}{m_{p}\times Q}[/itex]dΩ

But what formula does one use for d/dΩ?

the Rutherford cross-section? The Mott cross-section?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
why would you use the differential cross-section? They give you the cross-section, and the question doesn't want to know anything about the angle of scattering. I think you need to use the equation giving the interaction rate in terms of the cross-section.

Related to Derive an expression for the rate of interactions in a fixed target experiment

What is a fixed target experiment?

A fixed target experiment is a type of scientific experiment where a target material is placed in a fixed position and bombarded with particles or radiation. This allows for the study of interactions between the particles or radiation and the target material.

What is the rate of interactions in a fixed target experiment?

The rate of interactions in a fixed target experiment refers to the number of interactions that occur between the particles or radiation and the target material per unit time.

How do you calculate the rate of interactions in a fixed target experiment?

The rate of interactions can be calculated by dividing the total number of interactions that occur during the experiment by the duration of the experiment.

What factors can affect the rate of interactions in a fixed target experiment?

The rate of interactions can be affected by various factors such as the type and energy of the particles or radiation used, the properties of the target material, and the experimental setup.

How can the rate of interactions be optimized in a fixed target experiment?

The rate of interactions can be optimized by carefully choosing the type and energy of the particles or radiation used, selecting a suitable target material, and designing an efficient experimental setup.