Derivatives of Trigonometric Functions with the Chain Rule

In summary, the student was trying to find the derivative of a function using the chain rule and made a sign error in the process. After receiving guidance from others, they were able to correct their mistake and find the correct solution.
physics604

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of $$y=cos(\frac{1-e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}})$$

Homework Equations

Chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution

$$y=cosu$$ $$\frac{dy}{du}=-sinu$$

$$u=\frac{1-e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}}$$ $$ \frac{du}{dx}=(1-e^{2x})(-(1+e^{2x})^{-2})+(1+e^{2x})^{-1}(-2e^{2x})$$ $$= -\frac{1-e^{2x}}{(1+e^{2x})^2} + \frac{-2e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}}$$ $$= \frac{-(1-e^{2x})}{(1+e^{2x})^2} + \frac{(-2e^{2x})(1+e^{2x})}{1+e^(1+e^{2x})^2}$$ $$= -\frac{-1+e^{2x}+(-2e^{2x})+(-2e^{4x})}{(1+e^{2x})^2}$$

$$\frac{dy}{dx}=-sin\frac{1-e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}} (-\frac{-1+e^{2x}+(-2e^{2x})+(-2e^{4x})}{(1+e^{2x})^2})$$

The front part of my answer is right $$-sin\frac{1-e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}}$$, but the second half is wrong.

According to my textbook it is supposed to be $$\frac{4e^{2x}}{(1+e^{2x})^2}$$. What did I do wrong?

Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
physics604 said:
##=(1-e^{2x})(-(1+e^{2x})^{-2})+(1+e^{2x})^{-1}(-2e^{2x})##
##=(1-e^{2x})(-(1+e^{2x})^{-2})##<something missing here>##+(1+e^{2x})^{-1}(-2e^{2x})##
$$= -\frac{1-e^{2x}}{(1+e^{2x})^2} + \frac{-2e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}}$$
$$= \frac{-(1-e^{2x})}{(1+e^{2x})^2} + \frac{(-2e^{2x})(1+e^{2x})}{(1+e^{2x})^2}$$
$$= -\frac{-1+e^{2x}+(-2e^{2x})+(-2e^{4x})}{(1+e^{2x})^2}$$
Sign error.

Likes 1 person
physics604 said:

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of $$y=cos(\frac{1-e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}})$$

Homework Equations

Chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution

$$y=cosu$$ $$\frac{dy}{du}=-sinu$$

$$u=\frac{1-e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}}$$ $$ \frac{du}{dx}=(1-e^{2x})(-(1+e^{2x})^{-2})+(1+e^{2x})^{-1}(-2e^{2x})$$ $$= -\frac{1-e^{2x}}{(1+e^{2x})^2} + \frac{-2e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}}$$ $$= \frac{-(1-e^{2x})}{(1+e^{2x})^2} + \frac{(-2e^{2x})(1+e^{2x})}{1+e^(1+e^{2x})^2}$$ $$= -\frac{-1+e^{2x}+(-2e^{2x})+(-2e^{4x})}{(1+e^{2x})^2}$$

$$\frac{dy}{dx}=-sin\frac{1-e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}} (-\frac{-1+e^{2x}+(-2e^{2x})+(-2e^{4x})}{(1+e^{2x})^2})$$

The front part of my answer is right $$-sin\frac{1-e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}}$$, but the second half is wrong.

According to my textbook it is supposed to be $$\frac{4e^{2x}}{(1+e^{2x})^2}$$. What did I do wrong?

Any help is much appreciated.

Why don't you just try using the quotient rule instead of the product rule? It's much cleaner, and using the product rule you made a mistake.

Edit:: Are you trying to wing yourself off using u sub for these yet? It helps, since I believe you forgot [itex] (1+e^{2x})^{-1} [/itex] is also a composition.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Student100 said:
Edit:: Are you trying to wing yourself off using u sub for these yet? It helps, since I believe you forgot [itex] (1+e^{2x})^{-1} [/itex] is also a composition.
"wing yourself off"? Oh, you mean "wean". That stopped me for a moment.

There are several ways to approach these problems

I would be inclined to rewrite the function
$$\cos \left( \frac{1-e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}} \right)=\cos \left(1- \frac{2}{1+e^{2x}} \right)=\cos(\tanh(x))$$

Otherwise use the chain rule multiple times with care. For example

$$\cos \left( \frac{1-e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}} \right)=\mathrm{f}(\mathrm{g}(\mathrm{h}(x))) \\
\text{where} \\
\mathrm{f}(x)=\cos(x) \\
\mathrm{g}(x)=\frac{1-x}{1+x} \\
\mathrm{h}(x)=e^{2x} $$

Likes 1 person
Thanks everyone! I've got it!

HallsofIvy said:
"wing yourself off"? Oh, you mean "wean". That stopped me for a moment.

Thanks?

Related to Derivatives of Trigonometric Functions with the Chain Rule

1. What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a composite function, which is a function that is made up of two or more other functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How is the chain rule applied in finding derivatives?

The chain rule is applied by first identifying the outer function and the inner function. Then, the derivative of the outer function and the derivative of the inner function are found separately. Finally, these derivatives are multiplied together to obtain the derivative of the composite function.

3. What is the purpose of using the chain rule?

The chain rule is used to find the derivative of composite functions, which are common in many real-world applications. It allows us to easily calculate the rate of change of a quantity that is dependent on multiple variables.

4. Can the chain rule be applied to functions with more than two inner functions?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to functions with any number of inner functions. The derivative of the outer function must be multiplied by the derivative of the innermost function, which is then multiplied by the derivative of the next inner function, and so on until the derivative of the outer function is reached.

5. What are some common mistakes made when using the chain rule?

Some common mistakes made when using the chain rule include forgetting to multiply the derivatives of the outer and inner functions, not properly identifying the inner and outer functions, and incorrectly finding the derivatives of the individual functions. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the chain rule to avoid these mistakes.