Derivatives of General Exponential and Logarithmic Functions

In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of ln(tan x) and the use of rules involving ln() functions and composite functions. The solution is found to be sec2 x/ tan x and is verified by expressing it as 1/(sin x cos x). The person asking for help confirms that the solution is correct.
Dustobusto
So in my math class we're studying derivatives involving ln(), tanh, coth, etc..

I need to say this first. I skipped precalc and trig and went straight to calculus, so whenever I see a trig problem, I can only go off of what I've learned "along the way." This problem has baffled me, please help me out. It seems rather simple in nature so it shouldn't take too long to solve this.

Homework Statement

Find the derivative:

y = ln(tan x)

Homework Equations

So there are a ton of rules involving ln() functions. Here's a couple

The derivative (d/dx) of ln(x) = 1/x
d/dx of ln[f(x)] = derivative of f(x) over f(x) or f'(x)/f(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I learned that in these scenarios, tan x, sec x, sin x, etc. are considered composite functions. So I used f'(x)/f(x) to solve.

f(x) is clearly tan x. The book says the derivative of tan x = sec2 x. So I end up with, as my answer

sec2 x/ tan x.

The back of the book gives 1/(sin x cos x)

Am I missing a trigonometric rule here? Did I perform this incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
You did it perfectly. All you need to do now is to show that

[tex]\frac{sec^2(x)}{\tan(x)} = \frac{1}{\sin(x)\cos(x)}[/tex]

Try to prove this by expressing both sec and tan in terms of sin and cos.

ok nice to know

Related to Derivatives of General Exponential and Logarithmic Functions

1. What are general exponential and logarithmic functions?

General exponential and logarithmic functions are mathematical functions that involve a base raised to a power or a logarithm of a number. The general form of an exponential function is f(x) = bx, where b is the base and x is the variable. The general form of a logarithmic function is f(x) = logbx, where b is the base and x is the argument.

2. How do you find the derivative of an exponential function?

To find the derivative of an exponential function, you can use the power rule, which states that the derivative of a function raised to a power is equal to the power multiplied by the derivative of the function. For example, the derivative of f(x) = bx is f'(x) = b * ln(b) * bx.

3. What is the derivative of a logarithmic function?

The derivative of a logarithmic function can be found using the quotient rule, which states that the derivative of a function divided by another function is equal to the denominator multiplied by the derivative of the numerator minus the numerator multiplied by the derivative of the denominator. For example, the derivative of f(x) = logbx is f'(x) = 1/(x * ln(b)).

4. How do you use the chain rule to find the derivative of a composite exponential or logarithmic function?

The chain rule can be used to find the derivative of a composite exponential or logarithmic function. First, find the derivative of the outer function, and then multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. For example, the derivative of f(x) = e^(2x) would be f'(x) = 2e^(2x).

5. What are some real-life applications of exponential and logarithmic functions?

Exponential and logarithmic functions have many real-life applications, such as in finance, biology, and physics. In finance, these functions are used to calculate compound interest and growth rates. In biology, they are used to model population growth and decay. In physics, they are used to describe radioactive decay and the behavior of electrical circuits.